Open main menu

Recommendation for a touring bike under $1000

Hello bikers!
I'm seeking recommendation for a touring bike that will feature a comfortable upright position with an elongated handlebar.

Suggest me a model that is below $100 or recommend me one from this gearbikesreview.com

Um.  Do you want to spend $100 or $1000?    Your title says one thing, your text says another.  And I am going to assume that you mean $1000, because a bike you would trust to take you touring will cost more than $100. 

But you've also added a couple of details that make me want to ask more questions.  

1.  Why the elongated handlebars?  Most touring have simple straight bars, and if they get too long it's harder to carry your bike--or put it on some racks.  At any rate, you can always add those bars later.  Buying a bike for the "handlebars" is like buying a car for its wheels...

2.  Where are you going to ride?  Do you need road tires, or will you also go off roading a bit?  If the latter, then you should look to adapt a MTN bike, rather than buying a touring bike/hybrid.  

3.  How many miles are you planning to ride per day?  If you're mainly interested in miles, then I'd suggest a road bike and work from there.  But it you're really just using the bike as an equipment hauler, then go for a heavier frame. 

"Touring" implies putting in some decent miles in a day's ride.  Therefore I'd buy a good used light weight cycle, before buying a new cheap cycle, especially if any uphill climbs are involved.

Ed

Thanks for your reply. It's my bad. I want to spend $1000.

I am a beginner. I don't have enough idea about touring bike. Need a recommendation for a beginner touring bike. Thanks

Gabriel, if you answer questions 2 and 3 above, it will help us give you better advice.  

Gabriel, I see you are one of the authors/editors of the web sit that you recommend, so I'm guessing you're not quite the newbie you pretend to be. Why can't you just be honest and ask us Trailspace folks to check out your web site, or just plain recommend it as a god place to go for info on bikes?

$1000 is at the very bottom or intro level for touring or road bikes that an entry level cyclist who wants to log some mileage would consider.  I say that because the quality of frames and components starts getting meaningfully better around the $1000 threshold.  

The best combination at that price point, in my opinion, is an alloy frame, carbon fork, shifters on the brake handle - a decent Shimano derailleur set. For pure touring, brake type doesn’t matter much, but disk brakes are a better choice for riding on dirt tracks and in muck or wet weather.  Some people might feel like a carbon seat post absorbs a bit more shock.  

I have had good luck with Cannondale.  Schwinn, the brand you chose as ‘editors choice’ in your list, makes road bikes in this category that are fine - but I wouldn’t recommend any of the hybrid or cruiser bicycles on that list - YOUR top ten list - to anyone who wants to ‘tour’ anything beyond a beach front, a trip to a local farmer’s market, or an afternoon of monument photo ops on the National Mall.   

I use Giant Toughroad and really like it, I got it in 2016 and it's a great bike.  It has 29 inch wheels, disk brakes 160 mm, it's 27 speed good for large loads, the new one's are 11 speed.  They have several version, I got the one with flat bars, but will change to Jones H bar.  I take it bikepacking, gravel bike and street.  It has carbon fork and frame is aluminum.  You can mount 3 water bottles to the frame no problems.  Put rear rack and front rack for panniers.  The weight stock is around 24 pounds.

October 27, 2021
Quick Reply