Open main menu

What Frustrates You The Most When Hiking?

What Frustrates You The Most When Hiking?

Hello I'm is Rilwan, I'm a 2nd year Product Design Student at Huddersfield. Undertaking research finding insights to problems and frustrations faced within the natural environment regarding Hiking. Replying will any type of Frustrations are great! Frustrations you encounter with current hiking or camping equipment are even better. As experts in this field your responses would help massively. Thanks for your time, and everything helps.

If you have a few seconds on your hands, please respond to anonymous survey - It shouldn't take more than 3 minutes. It would be much appreciated.

forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=2p8utZEGhUW9_FzK4c4YkD0A9n-8HjJIigIiahMfxWtUMDU2VUMySk40NUNMSldGREZUQ0ZIU0FWTC4u

Thank You Once Again,
Rilwan

too many people, litter, crap and tp

Modern foot ware with glue-on soles delaminate, due to aging, regardless if the soles is worn out or not.  This doesn't happen with old school designs with soles stitched to the uppers.  I wear my boots out before this occurs, but had two occasions when a travel companion had their boots come apart many miles from the trailhead.  It can be a real hassle.  I lent them my duct tape; otherwise they would have been screwed.

Ed

Everything needs to be lighter.

When the flap that covers a zipper gets stuck in the zipper pull. Especially on a wet tent fly in a driving rain, but also sleeping bags and jackets, and I had one pair of pants with zip pockets where that happened about every other time I used the zipper, and took some time to work it loose. Sometimes can even result in a torn zipper flap. There should be a lightweight way to design/engineer against that.

The only ting that bothers me when hiking is running out of breath climbing hills.  I just can't do it like before. 

In the Sierra I can easily get away from people.  My equipment works fine. 

plus 1 on the zippers

and any kind of equipment failure 

overcrowding when the crowds are noisy.  I sat on the summit of a nice day hike recently, the rocky top had many groups of people, but they were enjoying a nice day, keeping to themselves & generally respecting others, chatting quietly - the numbers didn't bother me at all.    

Having to go home? I always want to stay fore we outdoors!

If the belts of hiking backpacks are not comfortable, if the fabric of the bag is hard, if the size of the bag is large, if there is not enough compartment in the bag, if the bag is heavy then it makes frustration.

So backpack must needs to be soft, enough compartment, light weight, belt need to comfortable.

Aging in general is the frustrating part.  I have improved my heart function but just don't have the energy and stamina of years gone by.  I started backpacking in 1960.  It is all so familiar, but seems much harder now to go past about 8 miles in a day. 

I hate litter- and finding the remnants of someone's £20 festival tent and a nasty fire pit, in a location I formerly thought was remote and unspoilt.  Large amounts of that litter are products of the oil industry- so I hope the OP's research involves recycling more plastics and synthetic fabrics.  Single use plastics should have been abolished, long ago.  Shame you can't recycle the brains of some of those environmental vandals, whose junk I have to remove and whose mess I try to conceal......

Lester M said:

I hate litter- and finding the remnants of someone's £20 festival tent and a nasty fire pit, in a location I formerly thought was remote and unspoilt.  Large amounts of that litter are products of the oil industry- so I hope the OP's research involves recycling more plastics and synthetic fabrics.  Single use plastics should have been abolished, long ago.  Shame you can't recycle the brains of some of those environmental vandals, whose junk I have to remove and whose mess I try to conceal......

Lester are you in England? I have a question have you heard talk or any publications on Rewilding? That seems an interesting topic.

denis daly said:

Lester M said:

I hate litter- and finding the remnants of someone's £20 festival tent and a nasty fire pit, in a location I formerly thought was remote and unspoilt.  Large amounts of that litter are products of the oil industry- so I hope the OP's research involves recycling more plastics and synthetic fabrics.  Single use plastics should have been abolished, long ago.  Shame you can't recycle the brains of some of those environmental vandals, whose junk I have to remove and whose mess I try to conceal......

Lester are you in England? I have a question have you heard talk or any publications on Rewilding? That seems an interesting topic.

  I'm a member of the Scottish branch of the Rewilding network.  Progress is.....slow.

Mar Lodge | Rewilding Britain

Great ideas....and Scotland would be a perfect place, to trial many of them.

Lester M said:

denis daly said:

Lester M said:

I hate litter- and finding the remnants of someone's £20 festival tent and a nasty fire pit, in a location I formerly thought was remote and unspoilt.  Large amounts of that litter are products of the oil industry- so I hope the OP's research involves recycling more plastics and synthetic fabrics.  Single use plastics should have been abolished, long ago.  Shame you can't recycle the brains of some of those environmental vandals, whose junk I have to remove and whose mess I try to conceal......

Lester are you in England? I have a question have you heard talk or any publications on Rewilding? That seems an interesting topic.

  I'm a member of the Scottish branch of the Rewilding network.  Progress is.....slow.

Mar Lodge | Rewilding Britain

Great ideas....and Scotland would be a perfect place, to trial many of them.

 I read through the site you posted and would agree scottland be grand to start it off. I only found out about it because two british hikers brought it up. What they are hoping is Charles do to his interest in enviorment will be the one to set things going. Its interesting though. 

October 27, 2021
Quick Reply

Please sign in to reply