Open main menu

Thoughts about hard shells

I’m getting ready to review a shell I acquired relatively recently.  Need a little more cold, windy and hopefully snowy weather to fully evaluate it.  it’s a gore Tex shell, on the heavier side and made for lousy weather.  

I’m interested to hear what your favorite shell jackets are, and why.  Waterproof/breathable or not.

full disclosure, the shell I most often wear unless it’s raining hard is Patagonia’s Houdini.  I wore the first one hard, picked up a replacement a few years ago.  Good luck finding a better light wind shell.  

Andrew it is a tie between 2 for me. Both soft shell 

#1 was my 1st hiking jacket it was a Nautica 3n1. Technical jacket.  I loved that jacket including its fleece liner. You could stand under a water fall with it, it was comfortable had a nice hood and excellent pockets and the best rain shell ever. But it was by hiking standards heavy and hot Especially since it was jet black. 
#2 is The marmot mountaineering jacket that I now have and still use. Purchased in 2010 I’m not sure of the name ,(it may be a palisades, not sure) it was a step up version of the precip. at $200 . Really more than I could afford at the time but I had to have it.

I was amazed at how well it breathed, it’s exact fit and all of the meticulous features especially the hood and collar adjustments and flaps

034FEB27-7267-45AD-8FCA-FA1B7568AB42.jpg
caption

CF55BACC-2149-443C-B762-CF12999B5D89.jpg
caption

26276D07-A09E-457A-8CBF-975E80FE5A6D.jpg
caption

I use it solely now in conjunction with a 650 down if needed but even with its great pit zips it is still a bit to warm. 

in Virginia a couple of years back we never even broke them out, we just wrapped up in tarps to keep a little cooler on the move and I’d go back to a poncho if I could find a good one that fit me and my packs with snaps on the sides.

both were and are excellent jackets, but only for the lower temps. As far as I can tell neither one was made of Gore tech

as to rain Nautica hands down has got it right,

as to overall usability nothing comes even close to This Marmot and it’s flexible breathable and comfortable fit.

but again only for lower temps , and there both are equal against icy wind 

My two most recent shells are both Columbia OutDry. Before getting into details, I'll just say that after 40 years of backpacking, hiking, snowshoeing, X Country skiing, I'm seriously impressed the effectiveness of OutDry. It simply does not wet out nor leak, at least not in the three years I've been wearing them. One is dedicated to winter usage (an original "EX Gold something something, weighs around 10oz), the other is reserved for non-winter, extended backpacking ("Featherlite" 6.5 oz, only produced for a couple of years). My primary fear for both is when the fabric will fail on the shoulders from shoulder strap abrasion. So far, so good. The water repelency of OutDry is peerless in the waterproof/breathable arena. In my experience, it's been more breathable than 3-ply Gortex, or Event, and I've worn both of those fabrics for decades. If the face fabrics on GoreTex and Event membranes didn't require DWR treatments, the comparisons with OutDry would likely come down to academic nitpicking. Again, in my experience, I've found Event to be ever so slightly more breathable than Goretex, and Outdry a tick more breathable than Event. Every rain shell I've worn for the past 40 years, regardless of its cost or technical "superiority", has eventually failed - developed leaks (usually around the neck and shoulders), and for sure wetted out - first on the arms, then shoulders, then around the waist. My most expensive Event shell (still have it) started wetting out on the sleeves after one season. My OutDry - three seasons in and still not a drop of fabric saturation. A few hearty shakes of the jacket and most of the surface drops shake off. A quick wipe with my synthetic chamois, and the jacket is virtually bone dry. No longer do I hustle into my tent in the rain/snow and drip water all over everything.

No matter how well-made a shell is, nothing lasts forever.  I think a jacket’s ability to vent moisture and keep rain out depends on a lot of factors over and above the waterproof-breathable solution.  What face fabric is the membrane or coating bonded to; how well does the durable water repellant coating work, how long does it last, and can you re-apply an aftermarket product like Nikwax effectively; ultimately, what mechanical venting (armpit zips or the like) does it have, because a hard hike up a mountain with or without a big backpack will overwhelm any shell, even shells that breathe better because they aren’t waterproof.  I have had good experience with eVent and neoshell (polartec product) as solutions for most situations, but I don’t like either for hard winter weather, high winds - their better air permeability, a plus for venting moisture, can be a minus in my experience in high winds, unless the face fabric is quite heavy.  (I have an old RAB shell with eVent that I would take anyway because the shell fabric is so robust - but the jacket relies primarily on large zippered armpit openings to vent - the fabric limits venting straight through the shell, like any hard shell designed to stop wind).  

thanks for your comments - will help with my review.  

I am NOT a fan of "softshell" clothing with the possible exception of light gloves.

I do like eVent hard shells parkas and the new most breathable Gore-Tex shells.

My eVent shell is also my "wind shirt" when a polyester shirt is not enough. I think carrying a wind shirt is unnecessary weight if you carry a WPB parka. 

Eric B.

Hi I think I am up to about 4 hard shells. Also a big fan using them summer and winter . Three of them are different brands  . So see my reviews for specifics  

But some suggestions are 

Gortex Pro does not breath that well but is hard wearing and will last .Beware of rubberized inner coating .

Pit zips are a must for summer active pursuits and to help keep you dry on the inside  

Large hood and high collar for wet and windy days . Snowy cold days 

Zippered pockets help keep personal items safe and dry  

Sleeve closers they are more important than you think.

I usually run a size up so I can put a light down fill under it for the winter months on very wet days to be able to put an extra layer on to help keep you dryer 

As for price you can spend $150 or $750  everyone has a different favorite brand , fit and expectations 

The ones I’ve used the most over the past 30 years are USGI ECWCS (Gore-Tex) parkas, they’re built like tanks and not much lighter. Packable? 😂😂😂. They laugh at thorns, snags, and pokes from branches, and if you carry Rip-Kit Gore-Tex patches you can make an almost permanent repair using a pot of hot water as an iron. 

What I bring 95% of the time is an EMS Thunderhead rain jacket, because it’s light enough, packable enough, and tear-resistant enough if I don’t just plow through thorns and sharp stuff like a bull moose. I don’t wear them very often, though, because I‘ve found a 200wt fleece to be warm and breathable enough on all but the coldest, windiest days. Fleece’s breathability means I can wear it in temps that would turn a hardshell into a portable sauna with even the slightest exertion. 

On sunny days down to around 10F or overcast days in the 20s I’m comfortable wearing a midweight Merino shirt over a short-sleeve wicking synthetic T-shirt. Today while snowshoeing in moderate snowfall and temps around freezing, I wore just the wicking T-shirt under my fleece and sweated more than I like even with no hat and the fleece half unzipped. I need either a lighter fleece (100wt) or a very light softshell jacket. Maybe a lightweight Merino jacket with DWR treatment. 

October 27, 2021
Quick Reply