Open main menu

Looking for a good Mid boot

I am looking for a good mid boot that I can wear hiking  some long or shirt miles and for trail maintenece.. Normally for hiking I just use trail runners but My club requires boots for maintence..I cant take my work boots their leather weight is about 3 pounds each and has steel toes and shanks in the welt...I looked at the mids seem still light enough for hiking and what I need.Does anyone have any suggestions

I’ve put quite a few miles on both my Fugitives and my Lowa Camino GTX, both are rugged, comfortable boots but I’d give the edge to the all-leather Caminos even though they’re about 8oz heavier. If you don’t need wides Backcountry has them for $240ish, 25% off. I’d buy another pair just to have them if they had wides. 

Phil Smith said:

I’ve put quite a few miles on both my Fugitives and my Lowa Camino GTX, both are rugged, comfortable boots but I’d give the edge to the all-leather Caminos even though they’re about 8oz heavier. If you don’t need wides Backcountry has them for $240ish, 25% off. I’d buy another pair just to have them if they had wides. 

Thanks phil I just read your review of them theyre an option. Seem like they last awhile also...My work boots jst dont have the flexibility in the shank for hiking ok on construction sites but not multiple miles of hiking...You gave me something to check out I look at my local outfitter see if they carry them...

i just reviewed a pair of Salomon mid height boots: https://www.trailspace.com/gear/salomon/x-ultra-3-mid-gtx/#review41302  while you might still be able to purchase, Salomon rolled out the x ultra 4 that's probably more available.  a nice compromise, relatively light, pretty good support and tread. if you're looking to upgrade, i replaced them with salomon's Quest 4D, a more substantial boot - also well done, from the half dozen or so short walks and hikes I have done in them.  Salomon does a nice job accommodating a thick pair of custom orthotics, a big plus for me.  

i had good luck in the past with Oboz boots too - comfortable boots, midsoles and shanks (to the extent Oboz uses a shank at all) are more flexible than Salomon. Which I why I trended away from Oboz, needed more support.  Sawtooth mid is the lightest duty, bridger is stiffer/more supportive, Yellowstone is the top of the range in terms of support, weight, price.  (I tested Oboz's former 'high end of the range' boot, the wind river III - not a mid, and a lot of boot...discontinued, probably heavier than most backpackers would want).   

leadbelly2550 said:

i just reviewed a pair of Salomon mid height boots: https://www.trailspace.com/gear/salomon/x-ultra-3-mid-gtx/#review41302  while you might still be able to purchase, Salomon rolled out the x ultra 4 that's probably more available.  a nice compromise, relatively light, pretty good support and tread. if you're looking to upgrade, i replaced them with salomon's Quest 4D, a more substantial boot - also well done, from the half dozen or so short walks and hikes I have done in them.  Salomon does a nice job accommodating a thick pair of custom orthotics, a big plus for me.  

i had good luck in the past with Oboz boots too - comfortable boots, midsoles and shanks (to the extent Oboz uses a shank at all) are more flexible than Salomon. Which I why I trended away from Oboz, needed more support.  Sawtooth mid is the lightest duty, bridger is stiffer/more supportive, Yellowstone is the top of the range in terms of support, weight, price.  (I tested Oboz's former 'high end of the range' boot, the wind river III - not a mid, and a lot of boot...discontinued, probably heavier than most backpackers would want).   

Thanks andrew I saw your review when it came out that was one of the reasons I was considering a mid. I found your oboz review also...I was hoping to ask phil some questions about his review on the mid he had...BUT i saw he commented on your obozo review he was looking for a new boot. IT between this one you have posted or the oboizos you reviewed. Phill threw in a good boot I just dont need that much boot for maintaining and having to go back and forth for supplies.I considered foot fatigue thats why I was looking for a light weight mid. I am also a neutral arch on my feet..BUT I will order some insoles...

The lightest boots I’ve ever worn, and some of the most comfortable, are my Vasque Coldspark UltraDry winter boots. They’re a little higher than mids, about 8”, but talk about LIGHT. All I can say is they feel like I’m wearing slipper socks like we had as kids. Maybe Vasque has a similarly lightweight mid?

About 3-4 years ago I started wearing hiking shoes more often because boots were torture with my Achilles tendinitis. I’ve had Keen Voyageurs, Salewa Mountain Trainer Low, and Oboz Sawtooth Low, and just bought a new pair of Sawtooth II Low. They seem to be a little stiffer in the midsole than I remember my Sawtooth being, but I’ve worn those on some pretty nasty rocky trails without any soreness or bruising. Sunday I wore the Sawtooth II up a small local mountain and they were amazingly comfortable and very stable. I got the waterproof ones this time, along with a pair of calf-height waterproof gaiters so my feet should stay mostly dry while being lighter than my boots. 

Phil Smith said:

The lightest boots I’ve ever worn, and some of the most comfortable, are my Vasque Coldspark UltraDry winter boots. They’re a little higher than mids, about 8”, but talk about LIGHT. All I can say is they feel like I’m wearing slipper socks like we had as kids. Maybe Vasque has a similarly lightweight mid?

About 3-4 years ago I started wearing hiking shoes more often because boots were torture with my Achilles tendinitis. I’ve had Keen Voyageurs, Salewa Mountain Trainer Low, and Oboz Sawtooth Low, and just bought a new pair of Sawtooth II Low. They seem to be a little stiffer in the midsole than I remember my Sawtooth being, but I’ve worn those on some pretty nasty rocky trails without any soreness or bruising. Sunday I wore the Sawtooth II up a small local mountain and they were amazingly comfortable and very stable. I got the waterproof ones this time, along with a pair of calf-height waterproof gaiters so my feet should stay mostly dry while being lighter than my boots. 

Yeah Phil the ones you suggested were good. BUT do to what I have to do which is hike in tools and supplies and going back and forth to and from  heavy boots would just not work. I have to stay away from the low cut shoes cause it has to be a boot. Insurance purposes...BUT i was looking at the oboz sawtoooths their a mid. also..The  vasque is something I kave to research as well. Keen another what you think of the keens?

The only Keen boots I‘ve hiked extensively in are Koven Polars, they’re nothing fancy but they’ve done great by me in 4 winters of hiking & snowshoeing in moderate cold. They’re also my daily wear boots in winter. I’ve had some stitching come loose around the toe cap but seam sealer took care of that. 

Danner makes all kinds of boots that could fit both work and hiking, and are still pretty light. My Mountain Pass full-grain leather hikers weigh 3lbs/pair, and my beefier Mountain Light's weigh in at 4lbs/pair.

Danner makes lots of higher cut models as well -- for work, hiking, and in-between -- and in materials other than leather.

If you're used to light footwear, on the trail, I'd say go for the lightest leather boots, that fit you comfortably.  A bit more support, if you're carrying extra weight- and perhaps awkward shaped tools- and better protection, around the job site.

I know leather boots don't have to be boat anchors, these days- because I reviewed a pair, this week, that weigh 650 grams each.  I'm sure you can find something that your feet approve of, without a huge weight penalty.  They won't be as protective as proper work boots of course- but that's where I'd make my compromise......

Are the stores open, where you live?  I wouldn't want to buy online, unless I'd used the brand before. 

I never buy Danner any more after having a shank break (and constantly click) in their best all leather boot and having the external SOLE break all the way across on a lighter, mesh and leather shoe.

For about the past 15 years I have been wearing MERRILL Moab shoes and mid boots.

The Moab mid boots have all been Gore-Tex or similar WPB lining and the low Moab shoes have no WPB lining. All of them have given me many miles of good wear, only wearing out when the soles were smooth. I hikes Utah's Coyote Gulch with the low Moab shoes,about 1/2 of chichis walking the creek, and the shows drained very well. none to carry "camp shoes".

Because my feet, like most, spread after 2 days of backpacking I always get size wide Moab boots and shoes.

** I have found the "SOLE" brand of heat-formed insoles to be THE best I've ever used. With them I have never, ever had foot sole blisters as I've had with other insoles. You put the trimmed to fit SOLE insoles in a 250 F. oven for 8 to 10 minutes, remove and immediately put in the shoes/boots, jump in the boots, lace them up and stand still for 5 minutes while the soles form to your feet, then walk around for another 10 minutes. Truly worth the money!

Lester M said:

If you're used to light footwear, on the trail, I'd say go for the lightest leather boots, that fit you comfortably.  A bit more support, if you're carrying extra weight- and perhaps awkward shaped tools- and better protection, around the job site.

I know leather boots don't have to be boat anchors, these days- because I reviewed a pair, this week, that weigh 650 grams each.  I'm sure you can find something that your feet approve of, without a huge weight penalty.  They won't be as protective as proper work boots of course- but that's where I'd make my compromise......

Are the stores open, where you live?  I wouldn't want to buy online, unless I'd used the brand before. 

To be honest I am looking at what Andrew posted. I havent thought of leather..I do have boot maintenance kit. SO would nt be rough to take care of them next to my work boots. Might work ..Let me look at some. 

October 27, 2021
Quick Reply