Open main menu

What gadget do you need for beginner camper?

I am a beginner at the camping and i was wondering what exactly do you need for a start form gadgets? Feel free to give me any advice.

Zoe, it completely depends on where you are camping.  On a tropical island, maybe very little gear.  In the high mountains you need a warm sleeping bag, a tent, and food....maybe a way to cook that food, depending on what you want to eat.

And if you're hiking, some good shoes to hike in.

Keep it simple. 

You do not need a lot of equipment and gadgets. 

the only 'gadgets' that come to mind are headlamps (many brands are fine) and the Leatherman skeletool, a stripped-down multi-tool that has become my favorite. I like having a multi-tool for field repairs: pliers and wire-cutter in addition to having a knife, screwdriver, bottle-opener.  

Is a compass a "gadget"? Water filter? Fire starter? A stove? 

Google "Ten Essentials," you'll get a list of the key things everyone heading into the wilderness should have on them.

Like said its actually a combination of all the things people have proposed. For instance what kind of camping are you doing Remote and dispersed campsites or a camp site with amendities Like water and a compost toilet...If its remote camping youll need shelter and stove a water filter and water container and a container to hold food and a bed roll wether a sleepng bag or quilt...Maybe a first  aid kit. Its could be a small leathermen like Andrew said...

Zoe, help us help you!

What do you want to do?  Hike, fish, climb, car camp?  What part of the nation and what kind of terrain?  hills, forests, above tree line, deserts?  Are you looking for maximal creature comforts or minimal pack weight?  The activities, venue location, and level of comfort desired will dictate the equipment needed.

Whatever the activity and final destination, a weekend shakedown- to try out and familiarise herself with gear and techniques, is recommended, before a major excursion is planned.  Some of us old-timers learned this stuff, as Scouts.  Doesn't matter how you do it- or how old you are- but there are skills involved, in pitching a tent, packing and carrying a bag, cooking outdoors, etc.  Best to work on this stuff close to home- or near the car.  The consequences are less severe, when you realise you are carrying too much stuff, wearing the wrong shoes, can't make your stove work, or don't know where you are.  

that is almost a personal question there Zoe

If my father asked that question i would have told him of a camping coffee percolator 

My ex it would have been a Headlamp

My bad at directions brother  a GPS

My former mother that is not mechanically inclined  an instant pop-up tent

A former HS buddy that practically sleeps with his phone- portable charging bank

and i agree where you are going also is relevant

Questionable water- stera-pen ultra violet water purifier or msi water purification unit

If on an island a water still

I could go on for weeks  here so  a little more input and i think you can get a lot of new ideas  and i think u may not have subscribed to your thread so gonaa do a shout out

Zoe, You have to carry at least a simple etiquette like a knife, fire starter, compass or map, flashlight or lantern, etc

Here is a list made by David Canterbury of the 10 essentials. A person can adapt what they need from this. Most important items are wonder and awe! Creation is amazing and wonderous.

10-c-s-of-survival.png
By David Canterbury

I am not personally a fan of David Canterbury.  He was  the co-host of the Discovery survival show Duel Survival and was globally criticized for purposely slicing his arm to staple it with a species of ants using their "teeth". I was more impressed with his primitive survival trained partner Cody Lundin. Canterbury had also been fired from the Discovery channel for falsifying his military and survival training credentials. 

The 10 "C's" of survival that he posted was more of a gimmick as if a single letter in the alphabet could determine survival.  It is missing crucial items to name but a few, such as a map, first aid kit ( & medications), water purification means (can't always get a fire in all weather conditions to boil water),  mess kit to cook, waterproof poncho, sleeping bag, emergency whistle,  etc. etc. , oh and let's not forget a backpack oh wait  right that begins with the letter "B" not "C".

The only survival expert that I would suggest following can be seen on youtube.com :  just type his user name in search engine "Alfieaesthetics". This guy will even identify plants and mushrooms by their species, and inform you of their Genome Sequences.  That guy is rather impressive with all that he knows about plants and survival.

Hi Michael. I really like the reviews you've got on here, the humor is excellent and your reviews well informed. (I love d Stripes" LOL) I do like the 10 C's from Mr. Canterbury but I do not really follow anyone, including Mr. Canterbury. I have seen some of his videos but do not follow him or anyone else. I spent most of the last 15 years living in the bush raising kids with very poor internet but rich experiences. You tube was at the library only, and in town. LOL.  The last 3 years we have had to move into a city to help family with serious health problems so now we get good internet and I am watching more YouTube. My experience in the wilderness comes from living in it and that does not make me an expert. Experienced, yes, expert Hell! No!. I learn from every person I meet, expert or not, from every experience I have and how others who shared them with me have  interpreted  the experience! 10 C's are good advice but not a template. They are just a good point to start from.  I look for the information I need from multiple sources and follow very few interests on You Tube.   I find a lot of the experts have a cult of personality following and I don't care for that. Some I watch with some frequency are well informed and not about image, at least that is how it seems.  Anyway, stay safe and keep the reviews coming they are enjoyable! All the best.

Thx Mountainman_270 for the kind words and some background on yourself. Your humble reply is unique as I would consider yourself more skilled in Bushcraft then most as someone that lives and breathes the outdoors is more of an expert then those that merely teach it.

Alfieaesthetics is not someone that really has a cult following, although he does have over 334,000 subscribers which is more like a country then a cult lol. I have been watching his videos going on 8 years now and I can say with pride that he is more knowledgeable then I am  in Botany, which is the backbone in outdoor survival.

You don't have to be a follower or subscriber or cult fanatic to appreciate what he has to offer and I hope that you at least take a peek-a-boo of some of his videos, if only to tell me what you think of him. Btw his approach is like mine but funnier, and if I was reviewing him I would be giving him 5 stars.

Oh and the comment of 10 Cs was not directed at you but for the Trailspace readers, as I was concerned that some of those that read it would consider it the outdoor bible of what to bring, and foregoing some of the essentials like a map.

I feel that we may be kindred spirits  as for several years  people called me Mountain Man,  as back then I had a beard down to my pectorals and looked like Grizzly Adams.

And to this very day your comment on one of my posts still brings a chuckle 

LOL great review. Boom chug alug alug, boom chug alug alug, why did the chicken cross the road? To get his canteen cup lid. Stepped outa rank, hit by a tank, chicken aint a chicken no more, sir! Now the lid, the lid survived. - Mountainman_270

If you like funny reviews may i suggest

https://www.trailspace.com/gear/other/hormel-compleats-tender-beef-with-mashed-potatoes-and-gravy/#review41539

Thx again for your kind words and I hope that your family member's health improve.

Grizzly Adams and a book my parents bought me, How To Stay Alive In The Wood by Bradford Angier started me in my love of the "big woods". LOL  Thank you for your kind wishes for my family.

I will definitely be checking out Alfieaesthetics as I am trying to shore up my knowledge of the plants and fungi around me. Thanks for the lead. All the best.

SEE the  Term you use Expert it doesnt exist in the outdoors no such thing cause one always has things to learn..I also found this in the military you will find instructors that will tell you your always learning...No  trailspace member will use that term never had...Bill S on this site well knowledgable about many sucbjects brought that up once and Activities...

Well Denis this time your response is to google not me  I merely copy and pasted what I googled with 339 million results . And there is a vast difference between outdoor "expert" and survival expert.

But even Alfieaesthetics and I would agree that life is about constant learning. But what is a title  as a rose would smell as sweet under any other name

Nevertheless, point taken Denis & thx for the heads up. Will refrain from using that term.

Mountainman_270  with regards to fungi ,   do not eat any of the fungus "Alfieaesthetics " on youtube  says is ok to eat  as he is referring to his native area  .

My grandfather was an outdoors man  raised in Canada, and lived in NY.  In upstate NY he made the almost fatal mistake of using a European book on identifying edible fungus and quickly found out it isnt the same as a US version.

There may be some that is ok but  not worth the risk. I dont want to be the reason u get sick from eating the wrong mushroom. 

Lol. There is a friend of mine who once said you can eat any mushroom a squirrel can....his funeral is next Saturday.

Thanks for the warning. I used to make extra cash picking mushrooms when we still lived out in the woods. Used to be very decent money. I have some favourites I would eat up north but as your good advice suggests I only eat the ones I recognize. This area I live in now has some of the same and some different ones. I must learn the new ones I can eat; positively identified. Or else my funeral will be next Saturday. 

I will be checking out the above YouTuber.  

October 27, 2021
Quick Reply