Which 3 Season Tent for camping with dog?

1:23 a.m. on April 3, 2008 (EDT)
DaveSully
3 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

I am looking for a 3 person, 3 season tent that is good for star gazing and with 2 vestibules, one big enough for a Labrador. It would need 2 doors and the fly would need to pretty much come down to the ground. My thought was something where we could use the fly to close off one side with the dog and have the other open to watch the stars. obviously the lighter the better, but i have a really light Helsport so this isn't the real issue. So far I have been considering the Sierra Designs Antares (this has mixed reviews and the fly doesn't come far enough down) or the North Face Heron 33 (haven't read any reviews). These both have large vestibules, are there any other tents i have missed? Am I barking up the wrong tree :) Thanks for your help.

Dave

10:19 p.m. on April 3, 2008 (EDT)
Spion
0 reviewer rep
55 forum posts

I have the antares. Set it up in front of my house for a few days... Rained the whole time, and no leaks. Also performed well in strong winds (for here). I'm not sure how it will hold up in real conditions, but for now it seems to be great.

Also, are you camping solo, just you and the dog? or with a partner? For two to three people, the antares is perfect, but for one, it will be too heavy.

4:50 a.m. on April 6, 2008 (EDT)
DaveSully
3 reviewer rep
3 forum posts

Thanks for your reply. It'll be used for my wife and I plus the dog.

12:23 p.m. on April 6, 2008 (EDT)
Spion
0 reviewer rep
55 forum posts

That should be fine. The vestibules are quite big, and inside there is alot of room to store gear too if it is only the two of you.

June 4, 2020
Quick Reply