Zoid 1 discontinued?

12:37 a.m. on April 9, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
55 forum posts

Hello,

I finally found the perfect solo tent-the Zoid 1. I have been searching around a bit, and it seems to me that it has been discontinued... even the MSR site doesn't have it on it...

Can anybody confirm this?

7:48 a.m. on April 9, 2008 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,200 forum posts

Yup, it's discontinued. If you're absolutely set on it and only it, you can try eBay or posting a Want to Buy message in Trailspace's classifieds:
https://www.trailspace.com/forums/classifieds/

Otherwise, depending on what features made the Zoid 1 seem perfect for you, maybe you'll be interested in one of MSR's other solo tents:

like the Hubba (very good reviews)
https://www.trailspace.com/gear/msr/hubba/

or Hubba HP (new version for 2008)
https://www.trailspace.com/gear/msr/hubba-hp/

8:57 a.m. on April 9, 2008 (EDT)
275 reviewer rep
1,424 forum posts

This reconfirms my opinion that when you find a tent you really like, buy four of them and forget about it. 90 percent of all my favorite tents have been discontinued, either by North Face, Mountain Hardwear, and now apparently MSR. You'd think a company would find something that works(i.e. Eureka Timberline/TNF VE25)and stick with it. It seems the best tent makers stick with a product and get a loyal customer base or improve on a good design. The others simply dump a model without warning.

When was the last time an outfitter store-clerk said, "The tent you like here will be discontinued next year, so think before you buy." Never happens. And yet there are several tent makers who do not dump models, and instead improve on each one(Integral Designs, Bibler, Warmlite, Hilleberg). I've turned my back on North Face and Mt Hardwear for this very reason. Faddish, whimsical product development and no longevity.

1:44 p.m. on April 9, 2008 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,031 forum posts

There often is little difference, in terms of utility, between a given model of a tent that gets discontinued and a fairly similar "new model" of another tent in the same manufacturer's line. Having said that, sometimes there is - a good example being the Sierra Designs Flashlight. The original Sleeve Flashlight had, as the name implies, poles going through sleeves, a mesh door and back end mesh vent, no real vestibule (just a little extra room at the entrance end about big enough for your boots), and a packed weight of just under 4 pounds, including pegs for all corners and guy lines. The later Clip Flashlight did away with the sleeves, using clips for the poles instead, same floor area, a real vestibule (not large, but enough to leave muddy and wet gear outside the main tent), an almost completely mesh tent body, and a packed weight of (gasp) just over 5 pounds, thanks to the larger number of pegs needed to hold all the extra guys, extra weight of all the plastic clips, and the larger fly needed to add the vestibule.

But remember this - if you select a tent that matches your preferences (which is why I rarely respond to posts asking "which is the best tent for me?"), you will probably end up using it for a number of years. I still occasionally use my Sierra Designs Stretch Dome (a 3-person expedition tent, that was in production with minor modifications for something like 10-15 years), with the cost per night now down below the $1/night level, though for expedition and back-country ski use when 2 or 3 of us are spending more than, say, 3 or 4 days, is my Mountain Hardwear Trango 3.1, which is in current production and has been for about 5 years (there was a Trango 3 previously). For my personal expedition and backcountry ski use, I use a Bibler Eldorado (now called Black Diamond, as are all Bibler tents), which has been around for at least 15 years (a year or 2 less than the very similar Integral Designs). I do use it sometimes for Barb and me, though it is a bit tight for 2 plus gear (we are very friendly and she's only 5 ft tall, so it's ok). I have had the Eldo long enough that its cost is down to the $2/night range.

Point is, you don't need the latest fashion, so who cares whether the tent is the latest model. Is it big enough for the purpose, high enough quality to last for years of use, light enough to backpack/ski tour/snowshoe tour, weatherproof enough (mesh tents let in blowing rain, dust, and snow), easy and rapid to set up and take down in a storm, and the other requirements? That's all that matters.

I suspect you can find a tent that is close enough to what you liked in the Zoid to serve your needs.

2:25 p.m. on April 9, 2008 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,902 forum posts

There are 7 Zoid 1 tents for sale on eBay right now-they all seem to be new. They are going for around $180 or more to Buy It Now, except one at $140. The picture of the $140 one just shows it in the stuff sack with the hang tag attached. Another one is an auction that just started, so the bids are very low and it doesn't have a BIN price any more.

7:44 p.m. on April 9, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
55 forum posts

Thanks for the help.

9:08 a.m. on April 15, 2008 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

Sunny Sports has the Zoid 1 on sale for less than $150.00
they also stock the Zoid 2

September 22, 2019
Quick Reply