clothing for backpacking in colorado

11:25 p.m. on May 2, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Hello all, I recently moved to CO and am looking forward to taking advantage of the outdoors while here. I am in the last stages of putting together my backpacking gear and last on the list is clothing. I plan on doing pretty frequent day hikes and 2-5 day trips throughout the summer/fall. I am going to do my best to keep cotton out of my pack but I have nothing other than cotton at the moment. I am thinking of picking up this stuff at REI this week. So if anyone could give me a breakdown of what kind of clothing I'll need and what pieces make most sense. For instance: 1 wicking shirt, quick dry pants, fleece, 2 pairs socks, etc. Ok gotta run thanks for any info.

6:51 p.m. on May 3, 2008 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,028 forum posts

Where in CO? If you are along the Front Range, there are a huge number of small local shops, in addition to REI and EMS. I would suggest you get acquainted with them and support them. They will give you excellent advice and a number of them have excellent boot fitters and pack fitters. In Boulder, visit Gary Neptune's shop (not far from the CU campus. There is a small shop almost adjacent to the CSU campus on the north side (forgot the name of it right now).

Last thing on the list is clothing? Hmmm, should have been the first thing.

12:13 a.m. on May 4, 2008 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

i'm thinking

1 pair of light shorts
1 pair of fleece pants
1 pair of rain pants
1 wicking t shirt
1 fleece
1 rain jacket
2 pairs hiking socks
boots