Need a recomendation for Stove

4:17 p.m. on April 8, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hi everybody

Next mounth i`m flying to New Zealand,I pan to buy a stove.

I love high quality gear and want to buy somthing good.

I thought on the Optimus Crux or crux lite or the Brunton flex,

What do you thing on my choises? Which one of them is better?

Is there somthing else that may i need to consider?

Thanks

Ofir

4:52 p.m. on April 8, 2009 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Quick question is "New Zilland" the same as New Zealand? If so depending on the time of year and elavation you will be traveling you will probly want to consider a white gas stove over a compressed gas cartridge stove.

5:06 p.m. on April 8, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Yes it the same, sorry for the mistake,

So which stoves do you think that will be good for me?

7:36 p.m. on April 8, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,156 forum posts

I have a crux and think it's great, but do not have the others you reference to compare it to the crux. The crux is a great little stove.

7:41 p.m. on April 8, 2009 (EDT)
26 reviewer rep
119 forum posts

Ofir,

What are your needs? Do you want something you can actually control the flame enough to simmer and cook more "home style" meals, or are you interested in stoves that excel in boiling water for instant meals

10:33 p.m. on April 8, 2009 (EDT)
54 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

I have an Primus Omnifuel which is about the best stove I've ever seen. It will burn anything you can find to put in the fuel bottle, and it simmers like a dream.

Downside: it's built like a tank (which is actually good), but that makes it heavy. I don't know exactly what it weighs, but 16 or 18 oz wouldn't surprise me. You won't ever break it. I've broken two MSR stoves... one a whisperlite and one was something different. Flimsy crap.

Plus, it sounds like a harrier taking off.

ETA: just looked up the weight. The stove weighs 12.8 oz, and with the pump it is 16.4oz.

11:16 p.m. on April 8, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,902 forum posts

I used to live in NZ many years ago. Canister stoves should be readily available there. Don't plan on flying with your own canisters-not allowed. If you bring a liquid fuel stove, make sure the fuel bottle is brand new or buy one down there.

You may not find white gas everywhere you go. Not sure about now, but that was the case when I was there. Shellite, as I recall is white gas. Methylated Spirits or "Meths" is alcohol. It's purple. I used that a few time when I couldn't find white gas. Kerosene should be available most places. If you get a stove that claims it will burn anything, make sure it will burn kerosene.

Depending on where you are going, it won't be that cold and unless you are climbing on the South Island, you won't be all that high, so a canister stove should be fine. Plus, on the South Island, most of the tracks have huts to stay in so it won't be that cold in them. Some of them, like around Arthur's Pass, have wood stoves in them.

In spite of what Stingray claims, MSR stoves are not "flimsy crap." I don't know what he was doing to his, but I've owned one for years and so have a lot of other people who have used theirs a heck of a lot more than I have. MSR has great customer service too.

Make sure all your gear is cleaned before you go. They have ag inspection at customs and dirty gear of any kind probably won't get in the country-this means tent, boots, bag, etc.

If you haven't been there before, here are a few hints. Expect to get rained on, often. Take good raingear, not some cheap stuff. You can buy whatever you need in Auckland or Christchurch if you forget something. Take good boots. Some of the tracks will chew up trail runners in no time. Never take your boots off when fording streams or rivers. Anyone who tells you otherwise is an idiot.

11:53 p.m. on April 8, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
46 forum posts

As TravHale noted above, it really depends on what you want to do with it. If (like me) you only boil water and make coffee or tea, I might suggest the JetBoil PCS. It's bulk may not be your style based on the stoves you mentioned above, but the PCS is simple, fast, efficient, compact, well built, and stores in your pack incredibly well.

On two back to back trips over christmas and new years, I used one 100gram canister to cook for 2 people on a 2 day trip to the Anza Borrego Desert, and 3 people on a 4 day trip around Flagstaff, AZ.

While it may seem hefty at 15oz, you get a stove, a pot/insulated mug with handle and lid, and a measuring cup/coffee cup/oatmeal bowl. Plus it all nestles solidly together with a little room for some soap and a small scrubby sponge. Also, there is a little sleeve in the jacket to hold your utensil.

While it is no weight contender against a pop can stove and a contact solution bottle of alcohol, it seems few can compete with it's solid construction, convenience, or design solution as a complete stand alone back country cook system

7:29 a.m. on April 9, 2009 (EDT)
58 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

I've seen the jetboil in action and it's probably the easiest, most user friendly cook system out there for simple meals.

I'm always broke, so I'll stick with my alcool stove. I love the silence, simplicity and availability of the fuel. It's also safe to carry the stove in airplanes, white gas stoves and bottles are much harder to get through security as mentioned before. A buddy rinsed his fuel bottle (a ton) and actually drank water from it to convince airport personel to let him bring it on the plane.

4:57 p.m. on April 9, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
17 forum posts

I like my whisperlite. Runs on white gas, auto fuel, diesel. Its easy to clean and packs small. Kind of hard to get it to simmer though.

5:40 p.m. on April 9, 2009 (EDT)
54 reviewer rep
246 forum posts

If you want to use a whisperlite for fuels other than white gas like Ranger mentioned, I think you have to get the whisperlite "international" model. That might not be quite right, but make sure to read the specs before buying.

10:28 p.m. on April 9, 2009 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,031 forum posts

To emphasize one of Tom's comments - many airlines do not allow any stove in checked or carryon luggage. Since these days, both carryon and checked luggage are xrayed, you may well have the stove confiscated. Check with the airline about their rules before you attempt to take a stove with you (I do not know ANZ's or Qantas current rules, since last time I was at the Antipodes was well before 9/11). Some airlines allow a new stove in its original shrinkwrap. Some allow a clean stove that passes the "sniff test" (any hint of fuel gets the stove confiscated, both canister and liquid fuel). Same for fuel containers. Some allow new containers, some do a "sniff test". As Tom mentioned, NO airline allows fuel in canisters or other containers, liquid or compressed gas.

That said, you can buy good stoves in NZ readily in Auckland and Christchurch as Tom mentioned, as well as many town near the popular tracks. This includes canister stoves - just buy a stove top and some canisters and you are set to go. Take your cookset and other camping gear with you. You might be able to pick up a used stove from someone heading out of country at a hostel (hostels are a good place to use as jumping off points, plus Hosteling International offers lots of services you will find of great use). That's what Barb and Young Son did when they went to NZ a couple years ago while I was in Antarctica. They handed the stove off to a couple of Germans (IRIC) when they were headed back to the airport for the return flight.

By the way, you do know that flights are available right now for under $300 one way, and if you time things right, you can stay under $800 for the round trip. I'm thinking of going in a couple weeks, while it's so cheap.

12:05 a.m. on April 16, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I just thought I'd add to the topic of stoves and domestic airlines in New Zealand. I almost never take stoves on flights for other reasons, but for people who do there are some specific guidelines for carrying liquid fuel stoves on New Zealand planes, and exactly how they should be cleaned out etc.

They were developed so it could be done safely and objectively without people feeling as if they had to hide their gear from airport staff (which would be far less safe). If you follow the guidelines then you should be allowed to take your fuel bottle. There are some good threads that cover a lot of this stuff in one of our local forums, including links to the regulations if you scroll down. (Link 1, Link 2)

As a post in that thread suggests, it's still a very good idea to phone ahead to the airport to let them know you're coming, make sure they actually understand the rules and direct them to the document if they don't. Otherwise you might turn up and be turned away by someone who hasn't seen many fuel bottles before, and doesn't understand that there are procedures in place to do it safely.

Enjoy your trip.

2:26 p.m. on April 21, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
153 forum posts

If it will be warm, butane stoves are lighter simpler and more compact. If the temp starts to get anywhere near freezing, white gas is much more reliable.

Check to make sure the correct fuel is available where you're going. White gas is generally easier to find than Butane. If you're going some place remote, neither may be available. Then you'll need a multi-fuel stove that can run off of auto gas.

10:47 a.m. on April 23, 2009 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

I used a coleman Peak 1 micro stove butane on a elk hunt in colorado at 9500 ft to temps in the single digets worked perfect better than the other high end models my friends had and was told buy one of to buy one for him walmart for 25bucks and change as good as any stove out there .....I like good equiment as anyone but great stove at any price.

2:50 a.m. on April 29, 2009 (EDT)
1,024 reviewer rep
680 forum posts

I vote for the Brunton Flex/Optimus Crux (same stove & maker, different brands) for teh most versatile backpacking canister stove. Just take the burner & buy the Lindal threades canister in N.Z.

Why?

1. No fuel "residue" on a canister burner to be rejected by sniffy sir safety inspectors.

2. Ease of use

BUT... if you're doing winter or glacier camping get an MSR Dragonfly multi fuel stove. It simmers lower and better than any multi fuel stove on the market. Period.

And all MSR stoves, DESPITE what "Stingray" says, are of excellent quality and design. The special forces of the U.S. military uses their XGK-EX mountaineering stove - a pretty good recommendation.

Eric

7:50 p.m. on May 2, 2009 (EDT)
92 reviewer rep
311 forum posts

As 300winmag states the MSR stoves are very good.Have used them since they first came out and still have one of the original GK style that works like new.Have never had an issue with one and neither have the many folks that i have climbed or hiked with over the last 20+ years,cant remember the year MSR came out but it has been at least that long ago.The only time i have seen one fail is thru user error or abuse.Ymmv

October 22, 2019
Quick Reply