Sierra Designs Convert 2 vs Eureka Alpenlite 2 xt

11:15 a.m. on June 4, 2009 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
63 forum posts

Sierra Designs Convert 2 vs Eureka Alpenlite 2 xt

I need a 4 season tent. Assuming the same price, does any one have any insight to a superior tent? Warmer weather ventilation would be great as I will have to replace my 3 season tent soon, but winter weather is the priority here. It will be used for backpacking, but weight is not paramount.

Thanks

11:43 a.m. on June 4, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1,151 forum posts

I happen to be a fan of the Eureka Alpenlite. I have an earlier version of this called the Alpine Meadows. The design is solid, it's easy to set up and is stormproof. I think this tent is generally under-rated. The Eureka is a double wall tent whereas the Sierra Designs is a single wall tent and therefore the Eureka should be slightly warmer in the winter. Also you can leave the fly off on hot, humid summer nights. The Sierra Designs looks to be a bit roomier.

1:18 p.m. on June 4, 2009 (EDT)
235 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

I would go with the Eureka but that's just me and I like Eureka tents They are well made and pretty reasonably priced compared to other tents. I have owned several Eureka's over the years and have no complaints as well having Eureka tents as our troop tents when I was a Boy Scout and event then they held up very good.

1:58 p.m. on June 5, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
89 forum posts

I'm with Alan I own 2 and 4 Alpine Meadows and sent my North Face VE-23 away at garage sale. I did have a Sierrawest Mobile Dome 2 that was a great looking tent. I should never have sold it. I vote Eureka Alpenlite. I just seen one recently on ebay or Craigslist new for way less than they are selling for.

2:42 p.m. on June 7, 2009 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

I too like the Alpenlight 2XT, it's a solid tent in wind and snow, easy to set up, well ventilated, and has a decent sized vestibule. Price-wise, it is a great value compared to other tents with like features and construction. It is slightly heavier than some similar tents (offset by the $100-$200+ you save) and samllish inside for a two-person tent.

April 25, 2019
Quick Reply