PlatyPreserve / wine storage bottle

3:55 p.m. on June 14, 2009 (EDT)
235 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Has anyone used one of these ? I was thinking of getting one or two of them so I am looking for some feedback on them.

11:59 a.m. on June 15, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

Ask me next week... I have one that will get it's first use this upcoming weekend. I liked the concept too so I figured I'd try it. I am going on a kayak camping trip this weekend and will let you know how it does...

1:10 p.m. on June 15, 2009 (EDT)
235 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Thank you I would appreciate it.

1:49 p.m. on June 15, 2009 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
858 reviewer rep
3,909 forum posts

I have one, but haven't used it much yet. I'm not one for carrying extra luxuries, and usually I have little kiddos along, so it just hasn't been necessary.

The Platypus people claim to have kept wine in one for months though:
https://www.trailspace.com/blog/2008/08/12/eat-drink-and-be-merry.html

So, I'd guess it would work for a weekend trip or so. Stranger will have to tell us how it really works out.

2:33 p.m. on June 23, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

Well I can tell you very little unfortunately... Last Thursday I pack my bags and wine bottle and headed south the NC to the Cape Fear River. Got to the river with my buddies Friday morning and put into the river. Clear paddling for the first few miles before we hit some rapids. The as Murphy's law applies to all trips we take... I end up in the tipped into river and watch my some of my bags floating down river... Got everthing back except.... My wine bottle and Jiffy Pop. Sadly stored together. I guess the jiffy pop didn't do much the keep the wine afloat. So... I can tell you it was easy to pour wine into the bottle carries like any other bottle bag. Outside that... You should always tie things down when kayacking... (D'Oh)

I do plan to try the wine bag again... but next time on dry land...

12:45 a.m. on June 25, 2009 (EDT)
235 reviewer rep
649 forum posts

Stranger

Sorry to here about your mishap but as long as no one got injured you can always replace the gear.

3:08 p.m. on June 25, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
39 forum posts

It was 98 Degrees and sun was baking down.. So the water was nice and was more or less fine when I got back in the Kayak...

July 18, 2018
Quick Reply