Anyone ever hear of North Face Extreme 80 Backpacks

10:46 p.m. on October 11, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Hey guys and girls, I am just really starting my interest in hiking. I have found on ebay some pretty cheap packs. The model is Extreme they have many different sizes 55, 65+15, 70+10 and 80 Liter models I decided to purchase the 80 model. I wanted to see if anyone had heard of it or tried them yourselves. I have a kelty external pack already so if i do like the north face one better i will probably sell the Kelty. Appreciate any help

11:17 p.m. on October 11, 2009 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

I bought one of these on e-bay like 8 years ago - i think these are knock offs because everything about the pack felt nothing like TNF products. The shoulder system was horrible, bad padding on the hip belt, and the thing wouldn't stay on straight no matter how hard I tried to keep it "positioned" on my back.

12:03 a.m. on October 12, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

I'm afraid those are all knock-offs, most are being shipped directly from China. If you do a search for any of those models on any of the review sites(ie. this one), nothing comes up. A lot of the day packs listed are also fakes. Unfortunately, E-bay has become a haven for TNF knock-offs if you do not educate yourself on what you need to look for. I would not buy a Denali, Nuptse, Apex Bionic, STH, McMurdo, Mtn. Light( 2 in 1) or a Windstopper on E-bay without learning what to look for. If the price is too good to be true, it probably isn't Authentic. There is a website dedicated to help consumers with detecting Authentic/Fake TNF, just Google Fake North Face and visit the Guru.

1:23 a.m. on October 12, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,902 forum posts

EBay is supposed to pull fakes, but getting them to do anything is almost impossible. I dealt with them firsthand a couple of years ago regarding infringing items. Unless you are Louis Vitton or Rolex or similar big name, they either can't or won't do much. That leave the door wide open for fakes of all kinds.

If this pack turns out to be one, don't get discouraged if it comes apart. There is plenty of good used gear around as long as you are careful and learn a bit before buying. We have a used gear forum and so do some other outdoor sites I belong to. I consider those a more reliable source of gear than a generic used anything site like eBay.

I've had good luck on Craigslist and sites like Trailspace; even on eBay a while back, but I am wary of anything that is a super bargain, unless I know exactly what it is and what it's worth. You probably won't find fakes of things like ski boots, at least I haven't heard of any, but knockoffs of brand name clothes and anything made out of fabric are common. So are things like Ping golf clubs, surprisingly enough.

9:33 a.m. on October 12, 2009 (EDT)
58 reviewer rep
352 forum posts

Haha! Good memories from shopping in China...

Sometimes the only sign the jacket is a fake is very hard to find. For exemple, on a TNF softshell the tag said it had a welded chest pocket...but there was none! It even came sealed in a TNF plastic bag with TNF zippers and all.

I've seen fake gore-tex with taped seams and the whole thing: only difference is the coating peels off after a couple weeks. Even stores in big shopping malls can't be trusted.

Unless it's a tent or a reviewed model i wouldn't buy anything off ebay or anywhere else, specially TNF, MH, Canada Goose or Arcteryx (i've seen fakes of them in China too).

Just my two cents...

12:16 a.m. on October 13, 2009 (EDT)
38 reviewer rep
1,902 forum posts

A few years ago I saw a tv show about China and in Shanghai (think it was there) there was a multistory mall with a big atrium, kind of like the Beverly Center in LA, that was nothing but stores carrying knockoffs. It was pretty amazing to see.

11:35 a.m. on October 23, 2009 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

I just got the pack and it looks very nice... It seems to be made for korea, but those tags could easily be faked... I will report on how well the pack works out after i have tried it a couple times.

11:59 a.m. on October 23, 2009 (EDT)
12 reviewer rep
135 forum posts

A few years ago I saw a tv show about China and in Shanghai (think it was there) there was a multistory mall with a big atrium, kind of like the Beverly Center in LA, that was nothing but stores carrying knockoffs. It was pretty amazing to see.

One of my friends does a lot of business in Germany, and always came back with knock-off shirts for sports teams. One of the ones I remember was for the LA Lackers.

3:20 a.m. on October 27, 2009 (EDT)
14 reviewer rep
210 forum posts

LOL!!

9:01 p.m. on November 5, 2009 (EST)
36 reviewer rep
74 forum posts

Check out this site: http://www.thenorthfaceguru.com/

The whole site deals with fake North Face items and what to look for.

8:39 p.m. on November 12, 2009 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Yeah i bought one off ebay and its a piece of crap. Don't waste your money. They are very cheaply made imitations. The buckles and straps on mine were breaking off before I went on my first trip. I would recommend just spending the extra money to get a good quality pack that will last. You will end up having to do this anyways when you find out these suck.

12:26 p.m. on January 7, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

My fiance just gave me one of these for Christmas. How is yours working out? I think it is a fake, but it looks really nice and I'm not an expert on spotting fakes. I cant find any north face EXTREME backpacks on their site, so i'm guessing its not real. let me know what you find, and I would really appreciate it. I doubt she can get her money back since she bought it from Ebay, but I would like to know. I am also wondering what will break first. Everything nowadays is made from China, so if it works, I guess I'll use it till it breaks.

2:54 p.m. on January 7, 2010 (EST)
FORMER STAFF
0 reviewer rep
415 forum posts

It's easy to mimic the appearance of a major-name pack because the endurance issues are all invisible to the naked eye -- quality of thread, quality of zippers, quality of the manufacturing process.

Might not hurt to invest in some lashing straps to hold it together after the seams come undone in the middle of nowhere.

12:47 a.m. on March 4, 2010 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Mate!! I reckon I've just been duped on Ebay. If this blog is anything to go by the pack I just 'won' looks like a knock off, does anyone know if I have a legal right to challenge this purchase??

Cheers

Mark

9:23 a.m. on April 13, 2010 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

has the pack fell apart yet Ive ordered one regretfully haven't seen it yet i just wanted quality didn't care about sweat shop stuff we all gotta work no matter how corrupt our community

1:19 p.m. on April 13, 2010 (EDT)
110 reviewer rep
762 forum posts

has the pack fell apart yet Ive ordered one regretfully haven't seen it yet i just wanted quality didn't care about sweat shop stuff we all gotta work no matter how corrupt our community

The words, "Sweat shop", and "Quality" do not go together in a sentence. Never did, never will. No matter where you live or what you do.

4:47 a.m. on April 14, 2010 (EDT)
1,613 reviewer rep
443 forum posts

Well said F Klock.

The best way to find deals if you're a "gotta buy new" guy is to goto one of the Trailspace partner sites in the "Marketplace" as referenced before. You can seriously get a top quality pack for cheap (I got my Golite pack for 65% off) and if it is not the right pack for you after you receive it, you can return it (most of the sites are "no questions asked").

November 12, 2019
Quick Reply