Open main menu

Old Town Candienne

I need another canoe like more yard work, but I just found a kevlar Canadienne at Lake Tahoe.   It is the short one 15'10", with very sheer entry lines and a beam of only 32 inches.  It is one of the fastest canoes ever made.  It was designed by Ralph Frese of the Chicagoland Canoe Base.  He has since passed but I met him once back in the early 1990s. 

I plan to paddle this boat solo with my dog.  I will turn it around and paddle from the bow seat.  It will be perfect for big rivers like the Sacramento and the Willamette.  I am waiting for the repair materials to fix a crunch in the bow.  I paid $250 for it. 

A great find and price...I love fixing up canoes when I can get a deal like that. 

I've got 8 canoes and one Ik and shouldn't need another boat, but...

This makes four, but mostly I have been rafting lately. 

I  spend the most time in a power boat. 

First round of repair is complete.  The boat is functional.  I am using a new source for epoxy and materials,  US Composites in Florida.  The epoxy is thin for laminating.  I have the medium hardener and it has a long use time around 20-25 minutes.  It wants to run down the side of the boat in the warm weather.

Next the challenge will be  to make it beautiful.

I take it that if this is a Royalex boat, the epoxy is like G-Flex so it won't peel.

Kevlar boat.  I am using S glass and regular laminating epoxy. 

It has really sheer entry lines, not the bulbous snout of a Royalex boat.  Kevlar pads would look terrible on it.  When I have finished the repairs I will be adding a 3 inch roll of glass and then a 2 inch roll of glass on the stems to protect them without ruining them. 

ppine, you might want to consider KeelEazy for your rub strips. On my Kevlar/Spectra Bob's Special I used epoxy and graphite that has worked OK, but most of us in the club have switched to KeelEazy for all our boats. Easy to apply, thin, and has a nice finished look. When it gets some wear it is also easy to replace.

Thanks Erich.  No clubs around here. It is not easy to keep up with the latest and greatest. 

Test paddle today at the beach where John Wayne took Lauren Bacall in the "The Shootist", Washoe Lake, Nevada.  The boat is fast and has ridiculous glide.  The arched bottom and narrow beam of 32 inches makes the initial stability somewhat tender and takes some getting used to.  It has more rocker than I expected.  I paddled from the bow seat turned around with my dog and a small cooler in the bow.  Back on shore the wet waterline revealed that the bow was in the water about 2 inches while the stern was in about 4 inches.  Some overnight gear in the bow will lower the center of gravity and trim out the boat.  At 51 pounds the boat was easy to pick up and carry on my shoulders even for an old guy. 

Next I will do some sanding, and paint the tired and beat up gelcoat with green house paint.   The two layers of glass on the stems are barely detectable.

A man can't have too many rifles or canoes. Jus' sayin'...

Eric B.

As an old fart, 4 canoes and 20 rilfes seems like quite enough.  I am going to sell some. 

Yea, that's too many canoes :)

I have seven canoes and 1 Ik, and something like 21 or so paddles. No, that is not too many canoes or paddle, even divided up among my partner and my son. I have a ww tandem, a ww heavy solo, a solo tripping canoe, a heavy tripping tandem, and light tripping tandem, and a W/C 17 Prospector. I still would like a w/c solo tripping canoeing and a ww solo tripping canoe, and a light tandem w/c tripping canoe. That might just round out any paddling I might do.

I was joking. I'd keep the rifles ;)

Erich said:

I have seven canoes and 1 Ik, and something like 21 or so paddles. No, that is not too many canoes or paddle, even divided up among my partner and my son. I have a ww tandem, a ww heavy solo, a solo tripping canoe, a heavy tripping tandem, and light tripping tandem, and a W/C 17 Prospector. I still would like a w/c solo tripping canoeing and a ww solo tripping canoe, and a light tandem w/c tripping canoe. That might just round out any paddling I might do.

You have a great collection of canoes. One of my cousins is such a canoe freak.  

Recently I talked with a guy that had an OT Canadienne to sell.  It was fiberglass with wood gunwales.  He was offered $500.  I told him not to sell it because these boats have a following and people will travel to get a hold of one.  I suggested $1,000 or 1,200 to the right person.  He just sold it for $1,200 and the new owner was very happy to get it. 

September 23, 2021
Quick Reply