Quick Strawberry Quinoa Breakfast

11:02 p.m. on September 26, 2015 (EDT)
1,467 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

I love quinoa for trail meals.  It is nutritionally complete on its own, so you can add or remove as much as you like from your recipe without cutting down on overall nutrition.  Better still, it has a very high calorie to weight ratio.

This recipe tastes a lot like oatmeal, but has a lot more protein.

• 1/4 cup quinoa (make sure to buy pre-rinsed)
  • 2 Tbsp dried strawberries (these are a common snack at Whole Foods)
  • 1 tsp dried orange peel (look in the spice aisle)
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup water
  • OPTIONAL:  2 Tbsp chia seeds
  • OPTIONAL:  1 Tbsp maple syrup  (can also use sugar)

Place everything in your pot.  Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to a simmer.  Cover and allow to simmer for 5 minutes.  Turn off the heat and allow the quinoa to sit for another 10 minutes, then "fluff" with a spork.  

6:54 a.m. on October 8, 2015 (EDT)
1,753 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

Thanks, that sounds really good!

I love warm breakfast foods when it is cool out, this is something I will try. My daughter has some quinoa I think she would let me use some, haha.

11:54 p.m. on October 17, 2015 (EDT)
1,467 reviewer rep
18 forum posts

I just discovered that "maple sugar" is a thing.  Adding a spoon full of this to your mixture really brings out the flavor!  Plus, this way you don't have to transport maple syrup into the woods!

2:48 a.m. on November 4, 2015 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Brent Mills said:

I just discovered that "maple sugar" is a thing.  Adding a spoon full of this to your mixture really brings out the flavor!  Plus, this way you don't have to transport maple syrup into the woods!

From what I understand, maple suger is also more healthy than regular suger. Not that any suger is healthy, but still it should be less bad. 

November 20, 2019
Quick Reply