Favorite Breakfast Recipe?

9:33 a.m. on January 15, 2017 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,827 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

Cooking outside all weekend testing out a new stove before depending on it for a couple of winter trips got me thinking... What's your favorite breakfast recipe on the trail? I would like to exclude eggs, bacon, etc on the first morning or two and stick to longer trips and lighter food.

Mine is quick grits pre-measured and mixed with turkey bacon bits and dried green chiles. Add that with a chunk of cheese (usually seriously sharp Cheddar to satisfy the British blood) to a boiling cup of water and 4 minutes later I'm enjoying breakfast. I actually eat this at home and on the trail many days.

9:49 a.m. on January 15, 2017 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
2,780 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

My favorite breakfast is the West Memphis grits soufflé from Packit Gourmet. It's a touch pricey so often I make something similar myself. Very similar to your grits by the sounds of it. It's quick, easy, tasty, and doesn't take much water. It's $4.49 a package. You can make it yourself for much cheaper though. I usually keep a package or two of it on hand for those last minute trips to save me time from having to hit the grocery store etc.

Grits, and a few cups of coffee is my breakfast on most trips.

9:49 a.m. on January 15, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
8,839 reviewer rep
1,490 forum posts

I rarely do a hot breakfast except in the Winter as I prefer something fast so I can get out of camp. Most days I'll do a bag of Cascadian Farm choco almond granola with full fat Nido. Quick and easy, but if I want something quicker and easier I'll just have a four pack of belVita breakfast biscuits with my coffee.

On my last trip in December I made hot cereal on two mornings, double packs of Cream of Wheat with a pack of cocoa mixed in. That stuff will get your boiler fired in the morning if you wash it down with a good cup of coffee.

10:53 a.m. on January 15, 2017 (EST)
273 reviewer rep
1,949 forum posts

Cheesy grits on a cold morning...I bring a small amount of cream cheese and I have sharp cheddar and add bacon...Keeps you going for awhile...Most of the time granola with niddo and coffee in a container cold...

12:01 p.m. on January 15, 2017 (EST)
3,827 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

Rambler...haven't tried that one but I keep the PIG Santa Fe Breakfast corn pudding in stock to throw in the pack when I want a change of diet on a trip. Still on my list to try their West Memphis grits but I agree it's similar to mine so won't be much of a routine break and cost more.

If I have to get on the trail quickly (not usually an issue for me ad I like to eat around 6 am and don't like walking in the dark) I'll go with power and granola bars. I eat the Bevita biscuits at home so should probably throw some in the pack when it warms up.

12:27 p.m. on January 15, 2017 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,994 forum posts

I eat a lot oatmeal and fruit on average backpacking trips. On boat trips we do the same but have usually two lay over days when we don't move camp. Then it is time to get out the Dutch Ovens and make some substantial breakfasts. I like eggs with diced vegetables and bacon with tortillas and salsa. It is easy to bake the whole thing into a fritatta. Baked French toast is always a crowd pleaser or pancakes and bacon.  Fresh fruit on the side and lots of coffee.  Breakfast becomes an event and bonds people together.

1:20 p.m. on January 15, 2017 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
2,780 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

I also like the santa fe corn pudding, good stuff. The polenta with sausage gravy is pretty good too.

I eat a hot meal for breakfast and dinner pretty much everyday. I am already heating water for coffee, so in my mind another couple ounces of water for something more tasty than granola is well worth it. I will sometimes do a granola and milk on summer trips, but its pretty rare for me.

I usually rise pretty early and make a cup of coffee while still in the hammock, put that down and then get up and make another cup of coffee and a hot breakfast.

I steam bake blueberry or chocolate chip muffins frequently. My go to breakfast choices are some manner of grits, hashbrowns with peppers and onions, muffins or skillet biscuits.

12:26 a.m. on January 16, 2017 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
688 forum posts

Instant oatmeal with added raisins and nuts:  pecans, almonds, or walnuts.  A handful of craisins for vitamin C.  And Hot Cocoa--with a shot of VIA added for my wife.

2:55 a.m. on January 16, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,304 reviewer rep
1,114 forum posts

100 grams of my wife's homemade granola (a.k.a. "Big Red Fuel) with yogurt (if I can afford the weight) or powdered whole milk (if I can't). I figure that's about 400-500 calories. That's my breakfast at home five days a week and I'm perfectly happy to eat it every day on the trail. The recipe includes the standard toasted oats, various other seeds, almonds, apricots, and a honey and oil mix added at the end. For heat I have coffee or tea. I looked long and hard for dried/powdered yogurt but couldn't find anything satisfactory, have considered making yogurt with body heat on the trail/in the sleeping bag but that isn't practical. Tried Honeyville smoothie mixes -- meh.

10:35 a.m. on January 16, 2017 (EST)
6,827 reviewer rep
1,683 forum posts

If I feel like heating water I eat quick oats with a scoop of vanilla protein powder. Coffee. 

If I don't feel like cooking or am low on stove fuel I eat cold pizza or maybe a bagel with cream cheese (ridiculously high in calories).

Either way, after I get on the trail I immediately start grazing on gummi bears. 

To me food is fuel. I'll be gourmet at home.

11:16 a.m. on January 16, 2017 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
3,173 reviewer rep
2,261 forum posts

These days what satisfies the most is thick cut whole grain bread fried in coconut oil with a nice dark pour-over coffee. But frying things in coconut oil is not the best choice in bear country. I try to be careful and do that away from the tent. :)

6:23 p.m. on January 16, 2017 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,438 forum posts

Favorite breakfast: Fresh caught trout, hot jello (drink), coffee.

Ed

9:34 p.m. on January 16, 2017 (EST)
82 reviewer rep
476 forum posts

I am an oatmeal, fruit, and nuts guy with either powdered milk or yogurt (if feasible).  When time permits, nothing is more luxurious than pancakes with applesauce for syrup.

At home lately,I have been mixing the oatmeal, etc with water or milk the night before and popping the mix in the fridge.  That might speed things up on the trail, although hot coffee is absolutely necessary.....

10:55 a.m. on January 19, 2017 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,994 forum posts

For short trip like 3 days, in good weather, breakfast can be anything.  After awhile a big substantial meal is a great morale booster.  So is baking a dessert.  It is the greatest group to cook for,  hungry, active people with outdoor appetites.

11:53 a.m. on February 3, 2017 (EST)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
10,908 reviewer rep
454 forum posts

+1 to LoneStranger's idea. 

I like to break camp as early as possible, usually before dawn. When I'm looking at big mileage days, I have cereal with Nestle Nido about an hour into my AM hike, with coffee at lunchtime. I'll prep it near the top of my pack so I can keep my feet moving & warm!

5:57 p.m. on February 25, 2017 (EST)
196 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

For backpacking, I make my own Muesli which I pack in single serve size zip locks with added powdered soy milk.  In the morning, I just add water and voilà.  

11:59 p.m. on March 1, 2017 (EST)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER
339 reviewer rep
145 forum posts

Fresh granola and an assortment of berries that were picked the evening before. 2-1

December 8, 2019
Quick Reply