Camping Cooler Hacks

7:59 p.m. on October 6, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

These are some great tips to get the most out of your cooler. The first video made a big difference on my recent camp out. This second one should help even more on my next trip.

Let me know how it works out for you.

copper country outdoors .com

search cooler hacks

3:30 p.m. on October 7, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,048 forum posts

The long distance boaters are the kings of cooler cool.

Only put cold stuff in your cooler, Freeze everything you can. Line the bottom with block ice.  Use a top flap if you have one and don't open the main flap. Store in the shade with a wet towel or reflective insulating barrier.  Get a lot of stuff at once. Avoid opening multiple times. Add some dry ice. The list goes on. By using multiple organized coolers and taping them shut, boaters use one cooler at at time and some go 3 weeks on Grand Cyn trips.

10:13 a.m. on October 8, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Oh, so you watched the video? Most of those tips are covered in it. 

11:13 a.m. on October 8, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,048 forum posts

And some of them aren't.

I mention the boaters because they have a whole school of thought for long trips in hot weather and how to handle coolers.

1:01 a.m. on October 10, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

They need to be good at it. Im sure being on a boat with limited ways to eascape the heat is a really tough environment for a cooler. On a recent camping trip, I kept the "adult beverages" in a seperate cooler for just the reasons you cited. 

3:37 a.m. on October 11, 2016 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,493 forum posts

Bear canister as ice cooler.
DSCN0198.jpg

The insulation is a couple layers of blue foam sleeping pad.  Fits on canister like a snug sock.  Expect performance similar to a ice chest of similar volume.

A hack I use is starting out by super-pre-freezing contents with dry ice before loading the cooler and adding dry ice for the trip.

Ed

9:43 a.m. on October 11, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
14 forum posts

Pretty slick idea.

February 20, 2020
Quick Reply