Sleeping pads

4:53 p.m. on January 19, 2017 (EST)
89 reviewer rep
79 forum posts

I've allways put my sleeping pads under my sleeping bag. I'm guessing the cheaper pads like Ozark trails at Wal mart are wider and yoga mats are too. I got my first real sleeping pad. A nemo astro. And it's not as wide as my old one. But a lot more comfie. And thicker. So my question is. Does anyone put their sleeping pad inside their sleeping bag? And if so does it offer any advantages?  Thank you...

7:12 p.m. on January 19, 2017 (EST)
1,977 reviewer rep
362 forum posts

If you try to put the air pad inside then either a) it should take up too much of the available volume inside the bag for you to also fit in there comfortably, or b) if there's room inside for you and your air pad then your bag is much too big, meaning you've been colder than you could otherwise have been because you've been heating up a lot of dead space.

In addition, with a sleeping bag you lose the insulating benefit of the insulation beneath you because your weight squeezes the loft out of it, but at least the spots you aren't lying on directly can stay somewhat lofted, but if all that insulation is underneath the pad then more of it will get flattened, giving you less insulating value.

4:55 p.m. on January 20, 2017 (EST)
89 reviewer rep
79 forum posts

Thank you for your in put. I've seen other people out air pad in like that. Thank you again and happy teails.

May 26, 2019
Quick Reply