Your thoughts on hiking poles

10:41 p.m. on August 29, 2019 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER
301 reviewer rep
143 forum posts

i just bought a new pair on 2019 BD Pro shock hiking poles. 

I always thought that on telescopic poles that you expand the upper section to the maximum ( the strongest section ) then set your length with the lower half ( the thinner section ) 

Or could I be wrong

Because these new BD poles are rigged to be setup the opposite way . Maximize the bottom and adjust the length with the upper. 

Thoughts

5:57 a.m. on August 30, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,827 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

My BD alpine cork poles adjust equally on each section. They have cm marks and both get adjusted the same amount. 

7:28 a.m. on August 30, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
8,710 reviewer rep
1,470 forum posts

I assume the maker marked them as they designed them to be used. My Easton's were marked for dual adjustment. My Komperdell's are marked to extend the lower section to a set point and adjustment is done with the top section only.

7:20 p.m. on August 30, 2019 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER
301 reviewer rep
143 forum posts

AF4037F8-5035-4215-A681-34DA468E997C.jpg

D263355B-8C9F-4DBF-B528-DB692B31D962.jpg

The way these new ones work is that you have to pull out the lower section all the way then they lock Into place.  There is no flip locking mechanism. Then adjust the upper to length. 

2:16 a.m. on August 31, 2019 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,416 forum posts

From a structural POV it seems logical to lengthen the top section first.  But perhaps the designers placed priority on performance, in which case lengthening the lower to its maximum would move the balance point higher on the pole, reducing the swing weight, making for a more responsive pole flick, when advancing the tip to its next placement. 

Ed

6:12 a.m. on August 31, 2019 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
8,710 reviewer rep
1,470 forum posts

Based on that description Paul I'd assume the shock aborber is built into the connection between bottom and middle sections. It may have made sense to make that a specific set point rather than adjustable.

2:20 p.m. on September 12, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

I use my BD poles by setting them both to the same or similar settings.  I actually set the lower one to a setting 5cm shorter than the top setting but basically they are about the same.  I'm pretty sure that's what BD recommends.  I went through a couple pairs of them in the first year I had them, once due to a fall, the other when the pole got stuck in a steep downhill while my body kept going, but since I've set them in this way I've had no problem.

7:57 p.m. on September 13, 2019 (EDT)
GUIDE/OUTFITTER
301 reviewer rep
143 forum posts

If you look at there new pro shock pole. You realize that is no longer what BD recommends. 

7:21 p.m. on October 8, 2019 (EDT)
104 reviewer rep
8 forum posts

As a hillwalker IMO poles should "lock not shock". Non-locking poles will fail, especially if you're like me & mine and doing a lot of mountainous descents. Really stresses them. Again the stability and reliability of non-shock is something I go for, as do others I know.

Things might be different for flatter terrain or long-distance hikes.

November 12, 2019
Quick Reply