Open main menu

Sawyer Mini Water Filter is a Must Have for every Hiker? - Full Review + Tips

Sawyer Mini Water Filter is a Must Have for every Hiker?  - Full Review + Tips

Watch the full video here:  

In this video we are going to review our one and only water filter that we have Sawyer Mini. We have used it from the very start of our backpacking and hiking journey and now we are ready to share all our thoughts about it. We are going to look at the general specs of it, its features, pros and cons, how we use it on the trail and some tips and tricks we found with it.

Disclaimer: we don't have any affiliation with the brands and all items mentioned in the video were purchased by our own money.

What is your favorite water filter system to use?

I got tired of pumping all day, and filter systems that don't work in extreme cold.

I use the two step chemical systems, which are similar to what water municipalities do.  The1st  step is sterilization by ionization, typically a chlorine based compound in pill or liquid form.  the 2nd step is removing the ion compound using an oxidizer, for example, hydrogen peroxide, again in either pill of liquid.  The process adds no taste and the reactions turn all of the reagents to gas, that leaves the water with no trace.  It's way lighter, and far less bulky than a filter, and not subject to malfunctions caused by freezing of the filter media, clogging or mechanical breakdown.  The downside to chem treatment is the water needs to pickle during the disinfection cycle, the pickle time varies according to the water temperature.  If you plan ahead, this is no biggie.

Ed

Mini is too slow for me. Full size works better for gravity. I gave up squeezing years ago and enjoy relaxing while the water gets made, but the Mini took forever.

whomeworry said:

I got tired of pumping all day, and filter systems that don't work in extreme cold.

I use the two step chemical systems, which are similar to what water municipalities do.  The1st  step is sterilization by ionization, typically a chlorine based compound in pill or liquid form.  the 2nd step is removing the ion compound using an oxidizer, for example, hydrogen peroxide, again in either pill of liquid.  The process adds no taste and the reactions turn all of the reagents to gas, that leaves the water with no trace.  It's way lighter, and far less bulky than a filter, and not subject to malfunctions caused by freezing of the filter media, clogging or mechanical breakdown.  The downside to chem treatment is the water needs to pickle during the disinfection cycle, the pickle time varies according to the water temperature.  If you plan ahead, this is no biggie.

Ed

Sure that for different weather conditions and if you filter a lot of water it may get tiring probably. For us because we filter when we come at camp and not so much volumes it is ok, also we don't hike that much in winter so don't experience freezing conditions. That is a great info to know as always, thanks a lot for sharing, Ed.

LoneStranger said:

Mini is too slow for me. Full size works better for gravity. I gave up squeezing years ago and enjoy relaxing while the water gets made, but the Mini took forever.

Do you refer to the other full size Sawyer filter?

Yup. I just stick the regular Sawyer on the ends of the drink tubes connected to a 3L Platy Big Zip dirty bag and a 3L Platy Hoser. Gives me like 6' of vertical column so it just takes a few minutes to make 3L. Let's me camel 1.5L, stash 1.5L in my bottles with the option to refill the clean bag before moving on if its a long haul to next water or I'm about to camp.

I tried doing this same thing with a Mini for a year or two when they first came out but went back to the regular model because the Mini is just too slow in this application. Folks love it as an attachment to a Smartwater bottle where you can suck and squeeze at the same time. Just not fast enough for gravity in my opinion.

For free flowing creeks or streams I perfer the Squeeze I tried the mini clogs to much to slow. I pair the squeeze with a cnoc 2lt bag...plus a 1lt smart waterbottle If I feel like just not taking a filter I use aqua mira liquid drops and waite for it to work..

Hi Angelina,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Mini, and your other outdoor gear, to help others choose products. When you're written or recorded a review of a product, can you please submit it as a review on that product page? 

For example: https://www.trailspace.com/gear/sawyer/mini/

That way, people will be see all of the reviews—including yours!—of that product when they're researching that product and your helpful info will be included.

It also helps rank products within categories when we have multiple reviews and ratings for it.

Thanks!

Alicia

Alicia said:

Hi Angelina,

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Mini, and your other outdoor gear, to help others choose products. When you're written or recorded a review of a product, can you please submit it as a review on that product page? 

For example: https://www.trailspace.com/gear/sawyer/mini/

That way, people will be see all of the reviews—including yours!—of that product when they're researching that product and your helpful info will be included.

It also helps rank products within categories when we have multiple reviews and ratings for it.

Thanks!

Alicia

I was on a thread at whiteblaze and found out that Zion and Island Royal NPS are having cyanobacteria  outbreak and it seems 1 hiker looked up the filter system up that would work.The Sawyer S3 I looked it up and  saw Sean did a re1iew on the S! and S2 is it possible to get the S3. I also passed the information on in a group when someone mentioned about going to Island Royal and told them what was recommended..BUT if possible be great to see if its  possible to have sawyer donate a filter for a review...

I recently bought the Sawyer Mini straw filter. I've been using a Katadyn Hiker Filter for a couple decades.

August 4, 2021
Quick Reply