Open main menu

How we take a Warm Shower in the Wilderness while Hiking? - Sharing our Unique Shower System

How we take a Warm Shower in the Wilderness while Hiking? - Sharing our Unique Shower System

Watch the full video here: 

In this video we want to share with you how we manage to keep ourselves clean and take a shower while hiking in the wilderness. This may be a completely new thing in a camping and hiking world because the way we are doing it is quite unique. Hope it will be a useful video for some of the folks that are doing long distance hiking and still want to have the luxury of a warm shower at hand.
Disclaimer: we don't have any affiliation with the brands and all items mentioned in the video were purchased by our own money.

What are your hygiene and shower secrets on the hiking trail?

Solar showers can be heated by the sun.  

I hae used solar showers of 1L and 2L capacities for years, both working and playing in wilderness areas.  Simple, effective, and refreshing!!

I don't shower on trail. Last month I did 16 days on two showers, one at a campground and the other at an inn while enjoying a nero. In between I have wipes to remove salt if needed, but wearing well ventilated wool in the right places leaves me pretty clean at the end of the day considering what I've been doing. Stealth camp out of sight allows for air drying the body before putting on clean camp clothes while trail clothes air out on a line. I will not be posting video of that process :p

I wash cloth clean daily.  Nothing beats the feel  of being fresh and clean, in clean camp clothes after a day of lugging a pack and setting camp. 

I start with a six cup pot of water, preheated when I feel the need.   I pour water onto the wash cloth, apply a few drops of castle soap, and wash a body part or two at a time.  I remove the soapy water by wetting another wash cloth, using it to rub off the soap.  Both cloths are wringed out, then the process repeated on other body parts.  Air drying is normally sufficient and surprisingly quick.  This can be performed in a tent if weather necessitates, but usually the open air with sunshine are comfortable enough. 

Ed

whomeworry said:

I wash cloth clean daily.  Nothing beats the feel  of being fresh and clean, in clean camp clothes after a day of lugging a pack and setting camp. 

I start with a six cup pot of water, preheated when I feel the need.   I pour water onto the wash cloth, apply a few drops of castle soap, and wash a body part or two at a time.  I remove the soapy water by wetting another wash cloth, using it to rub off the soap.  Both cloths are wringed out, then the process repeated on other body parts.  Air drying is normally sufficient and surprisingly quick.  This can be performed in a tent if weather necessitates, but usually the open air with sunshine are comfortable enough. 

Ed

Hi, Ed, definitely agree with you on the point that nothing beats a warm shower at the end of the day. Your technique is very interesting, have to give it a try next time on a trip, thanks for sharing.

I use my 2 liter Camelbak to take a simple shower in the outdoors.

i use  a coleman, coghlan, and a campmor solar camping shower. of the 3 coleman built the best then campmor

I don't think i ever skipped a shower when i was camping.  

When i was at my grandparents log cabin w/o plumbing and electricity in the winter i simply got a couple empty jugs of water and poked holes in the cap then filled it with warm water and went outside to the porch and took a quick shower outside followed be a quick dash inside to warm up near the wood burning stove lol

October 23, 2021
Quick Reply