Trailspace on the AT

9:50 a.m. on October 5, 2014 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,931 reviewer rep
1,424 forum posts

I had to document this leg of my AT section hike :) Added another .5 miles on Friday rounding out the top of a loop between Shoal Pond and Thoreau Falls trails.

IMG_3744a.jpg

8:52 a.m. on October 6, 2014 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
640 reviewer rep
1,183 forum posts

Good picture - thanks for sharing!

12:14 p.m. on October 6, 2014 (EDT)
7,931 reviewer rep
1,424 forum posts

No Seth, it is a silly picture, but I wanted to make the joke about the half mile AT section hike so I made a point of setting up my camera on the Shoal Pond sign.

The really good pics on this trip came from the top of Thoreau Falls but I'm three months behind on my trip reports right now so it may be a while before anyone sees those :)

9:10 p.m. on October 8, 2014 (EDT)
11,722 reviewer rep
1,399 forum posts

Hey, doing the AT a half mile at a time will only take you a few hundred years to complete...way to live forever!

Is that a pony tail you're sporting?

8:11 a.m. on October 9, 2014 (EDT)
7,931 reviewer rep
1,424 forum posts

I doubt I'll ever finish my section hike G00SE so it makes for good joke material. With my aversion to heat I'd probably have to do most of the southern sections mid-winter :)

I have not had a haircut in over 20 years so that is indeed my tail you see wagging. Between normal shedding and ends snapping off while riding on the motorcycle it has held stable around shoulder length all this time. Have to spend a few minutes combing it out every day on trail or it turns into a rats nest but it does help keep the bugs off the back of my neck!

5:58 p.m. on October 9, 2014 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,102 forum posts

I like it! I figured maybe you needed some random .5 mile AT stretch to fill in some sections.

7:19 a.m. on October 10, 2014 (EDT)
7,931 reviewer rep
1,424 forum posts

Nope Alicia, just closing out the top end of a loop through the Pemi lowlands. Researching Grafton Loop conditions made me concerned about finding water on the east side so I went back to NH instead.

This stretch of the AT is very gentle by NE standards. Relatively flat with actual dirt under foot and a very pretty footbridge. I think it is like that all the way from 302 to Zealand other than the climb out of Crawford Notch but I haven't done the east end of it yet.

April 20, 2019
Quick Reply