0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

IMG_1108.jpg

7:20 a.m. on May 29, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,931 reviewer rep
1,424 forum posts

Looks like the water level was pretty low :p

Are we going to see some reviews from you too Red? I seem to recall reading your blog in the past so I know you can post more than pictures.

Glad you are getting out there!

10:16 a.m. on May 30, 2015 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,695 forum posts

Headed to Oregon for a raft trip in 10 days. Due to the drought, it has been bumping along at 2,000 cfs for months. Some rain last week and snowmelt pushed the discharge to 6,000 cfs.

12:36 p.m. on May 30, 2015 (EDT)
743 reviewer rep
1,398 forum posts

ppine, John Day, Owyhee or Grande Ronde? Our club canceled a trip to the JD because of low water. Low water in the west is killing paddling this year.

4:11 p.m. on May 30, 2015 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,695 forum posts

Erich,

Since you asked, I am willing to reveal the Grande Ronde. It has late snowmelt and is not nearly as flashy as the John Day which is a great river. The GR has more dependable flows and a much longer rafting season. I have run the John Day in canoes at 6,600 cfs, but not without some wet equipment and a busted boat.

You have to be selective about which river to run and when. I picked the week with  the highest historical flows and we got lucky and got some rain in May. If you think the PNW is dry come down to Nevada and look around. All of the playa lakes have dried up. Lake Tahoe is below its natural rim. The Truckee is flowing at about 350 and dropping. The Carson is even lower. A lot of the lakes are so low that the boat ramps are high and dry and launching boats on trailers is difficult.

6:15 p.m. on May 30, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Lone Stranger,

I would be more than willing to review something. What would you like to here my opinion on?

Naturalred

6:44 a.m. on May 31, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
7,931 reviewer rep
1,424 forum posts

Well you could start with some of your paddling gear if you want, but anything you've used hiking, backpacking, etc is fair game. Not trying to strong arm you here, you don't have to write any if you don't want to :) I just seem to recall enjoying reading your writing so I figured you'd probably write good reviews.

April 23, 2019
Quick Reply