Reviewer in Training

4:07 p.m. on July 6, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
4,906 reviewer rep
1,032 forum posts

Took my little man out for a hike this morning (and by hike I mean walk three steps, pick up rock, walk three steps pick up stick, walk two steps and bang stick against tree).

image.jpg

Sappy Alert: Its so rewarding to see him interested in the little things around him, especially in this age of iPads and t.v. He walked the entire thing himself (only a KM loop) and I'm already dreaming of the day I can get him fitted for some full grain leather boots!

5:00 p.m. on July 7, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,701 reviewer rep
1,646 forum posts

Hobbies are the most rewarding when you share them with special people!  Atta boy Jake!

5:19 p.m. on July 7, 2015 (EDT)
1,738 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

Excellent! Very good looking young man you have there! As you know, letting them play and have fun while outdoors is where it's at for them.

I took my kids hiking all the time, it was extremely rewarding for me and they loved it. Now my son is 28 and my daughter is 25, they can both remember going at very young ages.

Now I'm a grandfather of a 22 month old boy, this fall we are going camping!

6:28 p.m. on July 7, 2015 (EDT)
5,226 reviewer rep
583 forum posts

I'd be willing to bet that if your son sees this photo in, say 20-30 years, he will be thrilled. It will take him back to a time when it was just him, dad, and the great outdoors. Nothing better.

8:10 a.m. on July 8, 2015 (EDT)
4,906 reviewer rep
1,032 forum posts

Thanks guys!

Mike- mine just turned two and I'm planning our first camping trip together this summer. Just one night to start and only a couple mins walk from the car should we have to bail. He already picked his own head lamp and has been walking around the house with it on. Enjoy your trip and post some pics.

Jeff- it's not taking 5 kids up a mountain but I gotta start somewhere, right!? Keep taking those guys out, it's an inspiration.

Kiwi- I sure hope you're right!

8:45 a.m. on July 8, 2015 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,697 forum posts

Take junior camping by all means. A down jacket makes a good sleeping bag for a little kid. Any age is the right age to start. Teach them skills for a lifetime. The best outdoor people are the ones that have "done it all their lives."

12:03 p.m. on July 10, 2015 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
1,684 reviewer rep
4,103 forum posts

Awww...I'm glad you two had a fun hike together, Jake.

It's definitely a different experience doing any outdoor activity (hiking, camping, biking, skiing, running) with a kid versus on your own or with another adult. It makes me break out of my usual routine and mindset.

Have fun out there and keep it fun. I remind myself that I'm working on creating a lifelong activity and interest for a kid and that I want them to want to do it again.

p.s. I think that kid needs his own Trailspace hat. I'll see what I can do...

10:06 p.m. on July 12, 2015 (EDT)
1,069 reviewer rep
19 forum posts

Awesome 

8:38 p.m. on July 14, 2015 (EDT)
2,885 reviewer rep
256 forum posts

Great pic, Jake! It's great to see the outdoors being a family affair!

5:00 p.m. on July 15, 2015 (EDT)
11,722 reviewer rep
1,399 forum posts

I can attest to hikes that consist of hike 10 steps, take a picture, hike 10...oh, this is a better spot for that pic. :P

April 25, 2019
Quick Reply