Trailspace at Eversole Cave

9:50 a.m. on November 21, 2016 (EST)
g00se
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
12,465 reviewer rep
1,433 forum posts

I'm putting together a trip report on my daughter's first vertical caving trip, but here's the obligatory TS shot. :)

20161120_104302.jpg

Entrance to Eversole Cave.

20161119_152449_001.jpg Bottom of Green Eye Pit.

20161119_152210.jpg
This is what Green Eye Pit looks like from the bottom. 96' to the surface.

10:00 a.m. on November 21, 2016 (EST)
FlipNC
4,360 reviewer rep
1,606 forum posts

Always neat to see perspective of the subterranean folks! I thought about you spelunkers as I hiked on top of Mammoth Cave the other week wondering how many people were below me.

10:15 a.m. on November 21, 2016 (EST)
g00se
12,465 reviewer rep
1,433 forum posts
10:16 a.m. on November 21, 2016 (EST)
g00se
12,465 reviewer rep
1,433 forum posts

FlipNC said:

Always neat to see perspective of the subterranean folks! I thought about you spelunkers as I hiked on top of Mammoth Cave the other week wondering how many people were below me.

I've done the wild cave trip in Mammoth. I have a couple of friends who are active in the continual surveying of that system. Every year they add more miles to Mammoth, with no end in sight.

1:49 p.m. on November 21, 2016 (EST)
FlipNC
4,360 reviewer rep
1,606 forum posts

My sons and I did the 4 hr version in Mammoth a couple years ago. Great fun although my lower back sent me a message that caving is not in my future. 

Now that I think about it, I may have insulted you by calling it spelunking . ..isn't it caving for folks who do it well? I recall something like that being said.

Love the trip report too...enjoyed reading over lunch.

2:05 p.m. on November 21, 2016 (EST)
g00se
12,465 reviewer rep
1,433 forum posts

Correct, we prefer the term "caving." However, I was telling another caver this weekend that I don't correct folks any more. It's kind of arrogant and know-it-all-y to say "I'm a caver, not a spelunker." 

6:37 a.m. on November 22, 2016 (EST)
Alicia MacLeay @Alicia
TRAILSPACE STAFF TOP 25 REVIEWER
2,371 reviewer rep
4,536 forum posts

Thanks for taking us down into the depths with you and your daughter, Goose!

You can tell your daughter that I'm impressed.

9:28 p.m. on November 22, 2016 (EST)
Bill S
REVIEW CORPS
4,537 reviewer rep
6,037 forum posts

Years ago (1960s), I used to go crawling through holes in the ground, mostly in the Sierra Nevada in the Sequoia Kings Canyon area, much of it helping a professional speleologist in mapping caves. One of the more fun caves was Lost Soldier, named after a cavalry soldier who fell quite a ways down a dropoff (his flashlight ran out of battery). I quit doing it for two reasons - I prefer climbing above ground at all seasons (not many caves have ice to climb) plus the two local grottoes got into a battle over who "owned" which caves. They would install locked gates with each grotto cutting the locks and sometimes replacing the gate with their own gate. I have a lot of slides taken in the caves which I should scan someday to put them all on electronic storage.

1:01 a.m. on November 23, 2016 (EST)
whomeworry
125 reviewer rep
3,550 forum posts

Great TR, it gives me insight to an activity I've had only casual experience.  My daughter is a late bloomer to the dad daughter outdoors stuff, almost out of college.  Enjoy these times, they pass in a blink.

FlipNC said:

Now that I think about it, I may have insulted you by calling it spelunking . ..isn't it caving for folks who do it well? I recall something like that being said.

You guys got me wondering, I've always thought these terms interchangeable.  Perhaps this preference reflects the contemporary vernacular of the sports, with spelunker merely currently out of style?  In an case I thought I would summon the opinion of Dictionary.com.

Spelunker - a person who explores caves, especially as a hobby.

Caver - a person who studies or explores caves.

Perhaps caver confers an elevated or professional affiliation with caves?  Perhaps spelunkers are dudes with a flashlight and Bud lite wandering beyond their pay grade?  From my new book smarts the terms still seem shades of gray, at least as seen from my armchair.

Ed

7:09 a.m. on November 23, 2016 (EST)
g00se
12,465 reviewer rep
1,433 forum posts

Ed, the saying goes "Cavers rescue spelunkers."

So one day I encounter 2 college guys in a cave. No helmets. Wearing t-shirts. Between the two of them, they have one cheap flashlight. They're desperately trying to find the string they had unwound to guide them through the mazey passage--spelunkers.

I think the idea is the everyday caver isn't interested in using big words to sound knowledgeable . They're just going to demonstrate it. But that gets into that arrogance I mentioned. Bill's account of the feuding cavers is far from uncommon. Too many folks think every cave should be gated, and only their inner circle should have access.

May 24, 2020
Quick Reply