1,702 reviewer rep
38 forum posts

P1050130.jpg

20171228_133649.jpg

2:02 p.m. on January 1, 2018 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,931 reviewer rep
1,111 forum posts

Now that looks like a great use of the TS mug!  It looks a lot warmer out there than over here in the east.

10:27 a.m. on January 2, 2018 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,702 reviewer rep
38 forum posts

It was quite lovely, though it's been a bit drought like in December,  so we hope to get some rain in January. But that deep freeze you are getting... yikes!

5:56 p.m. on January 2, 2018 (EST)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
858 reviewer rep
3,909 forum posts

Thanks for the trip, David!

I've never been to Point Reyes, but would like to do so someday.

11:57 a.m. on January 4, 2018 (EST)
69 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Love Point Reyes, really enjoyed taking our horses there & riding through the hills and later on the beach.  I must say my favorite part though, is stopping at the nearby at the Tomales Bay Oyster Company.  The best sustainably raised oysters on the left coast!!

2:45 p.m. on January 4, 2018 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
11,422 reviewer rep
1,393 forum posts

Sorry to sound ignorant, but where is Point Reyes?

7:55 p.m. on January 4, 2018 (EST)
69 reviewer rep
4 forum posts

Just north of San Francisco, on Tomales Bay

10:58 a.m. on January 5, 2018 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,702 reviewer rep
38 forum posts

The water in the background on the second photo is Drake's Bay, after Sir Francis who is said to have landed here during his 1579 circimnavigation of the globe.

Pt Reyes was supposedly named by a Spanish explorer, who landed there on the Feast of the Three Kings (Epiphany), which is incidentally, tomorrow.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NAfGi4UIpsIW3k9R2

12:25 p.m. on January 6, 2018 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,820 reviewer rep
284 forum posts

I've been jonesin' to go there. David, did you overnight?

11:13 a.m. on January 7, 2018 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER
1,702 reviewer rep
38 forum posts

Yes. I spent two nights at "Sky" camp. There are four backpack campgrounds in the park. They are semi developed with designated sites, vault toilets, and potable water spigots. Have a look at my photo link above, and you can see what it's like.

Gorgeous area.

9:16 p.m. on January 7, 2018 (EST)
192 reviewer rep
36 forum posts

I have gone there every New Years for seven years, as a through hike - Sky, Coast and Wildcat camps, usually. I take newbies as none of those is more than 8 miles from the parking lot at the visitor center, and the trails are well maintained and easy for the most part though there are some steep sections as you head toward Mt Wittenburg from the coast. It can be chilly, but this year it was fairly balmly in the 30s at the lowest. I've seen it in the low 20s in the past. You can't have fires, so we split up a 6 lb bag of charcoal into double bagged portions and light a couple pounds in the grill (all campsites have charcoal grills). Makes the early sunset easier to bear.

It's a great time to visit - fog at a minimum, usually none. Crisp winter briskness in the air. We saw elk and in the past I've seen mountain lion, bobcat, blackfooted weasel, peregrine falcons, golden eagle, and plenty of mule deer. Raccoons can be an issue at Coast Camp in particular but the food lockers work. Birds are also pesky if you have food out on the table sparrows and chickadees and towhees will land and hop around seeking crumbs.

This year I got there early enough to drive out to Pierce Ranch and visit the elk herd there, got some good shots of a nice bull.

DSCN1127.jpg
We were also fortunate that the tide cooperated - we were able to get down the beach from Wildcat to Alamere Falls.

DSCN1144.jpg

8:04 a.m. on January 26, 2018 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
2,170 reviewer rep
2,156 forum posts

Thanks for sharing this David!

Lori,

Beautiful pictures as well!

July 20, 2018
Quick Reply