Anniversary on Green Knob

8:38 a.m. on June 27, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,217 reviewer rep
1,188 forum posts

A quick pic of my wife and I (with the usual TS cap) celebrating the start of our 25th year together with a quick trip to the Middle Prong Wilderness NC - a cool camp in sun and storms at around 5,800 ft. 
DSCF1559.jpgNo restaurant could beat our margarita, tortilla chips & black bean dip, and spaghetti bolognese dinner, or the view...
DSCF1571.jpg

11:27 a.m. on June 27, 2018 (EDT)
62 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Happy anniversary! Great milestone, and a better way to celebrate it! 

11:10 a.m. on June 28, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
2,287 reviewer rep
2,191 forum posts

Cool Phil, I love that spot. And several of the spots across that ridge. Best places to be in Middle Prong and no bear can is required! 

Did you guys hike up from SR 215 or from the Blue Ridge Parkway?

6:26 a.m. on June 29, 2018 (EDT)
3,217 reviewer rep
1,188 forum posts

Thanks guys.

Patrick. We came in off 215 and only saw a trail crew. The BRP was over capacity at every parking area. I don't usually go up there in the summer so maybe that is normal.

12:03 p.m. on July 10, 2018 (EDT)
TRAILSPACE STAFF
873 reviewer rep
3,926 forum posts

That is an excellent way to celebrate an anniversary! Cheers to you both!

11:02 a.m. on July 11, 2018 (EDT)
3,217 reviewer rep
1,188 forum posts

Thanks Alicia.

6:22 p.m. on July 16, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

Hey - as a fellow NC hiker I wanted to saw congrats!

I also have a question for you if you are a vetran NC hiker - The wife and I have been avid day hikers in WNC - and I am planning our annual October trip.  We plan on doing come camping this time as well - planning on one night near Max Patch - and then have two more nights (between hotels) in the Pisgah Forest area - was thinking one night at one of the campgrounds (Mt Pisgah or Davidson river) and then another in the backcountry - preferably something not too hard to hike to.

What are you recommendations for something that might fit our bill?  Was thinking Sam Knob or investor gap (think the camp sight is 2.5 miles in) - would love to have a fire pit - but I know that severely limits our options.  Or maybe just a beautiful hike with great views and we head back to another night at the camp ground.

6:57 a.m. on July 17, 2018 (EDT)
3,217 reviewer rep
1,188 forum posts

Scotttyd...I am not much of a campground camper but would recommend Mt Pisgah over Davidson River if you are there during the week.  Weekends in the fall get really crowded, but Pisgah gives you quick access to several great areas.  Sunburst Campground is adjacent to the Shining Rock & Middle Prong Wilderness areas, but you would probably want to drive to another trailhead as the two I know leading out of there are killer climbs.  Day hiking over Black Balsam and Tennet Mountain are popular due to the views and not a bad hike with a loop through Ivestor or if you feel energetic an out and back to the Shining Rock itself.

Note for backcountry camping, you have to have a bear canister in the Shining Rock area.  So for either Sams Knob or Ivestor Gap that would be a requirement.  Like the campgrounds, if you go during the week you should find a good spot around Ivestor or or nearby the Shining Rock.  Several great spots on top of the balds as well in good weather give fantastic views.  Good sites along Flat Laurel Creek near Sams Knob as well.  No campfires in the Wilderness area though.  Middle Prong is quieter and if you can find the trail to Green Knob there are a couple of campsites with great views - about 5 miles from the State Road trailhead.

Patman or a couple others may have some more advice.

7:42 p.m. on July 18, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

thanks Phil

what about Mt Pisgah campground would lead you to recommend?   was leaning towards Davidson because our previous day hiking might be in Panthertown valley or the davidson river area (john's rock).

I know the fall gets crowded - we spend a lot of time out there

Have my bear canister already

Leaning now towards camping on Sams Knob - weather permitting, near the summit.

Love Black Balsam / Tennet - have done that hike a couple of times.

Is Laurel Creek / Sam's Knob in the wilderness? according to my map it is outside the middle prong wilderness - so could do a campfire (use an existing rock ring, etc.)

8:13 a.m. on July 19, 2018 (EDT)
3,217 reviewer rep
1,188 forum posts

I haven't camped at Davidson River and only once at Pisgah... like it for the short drive to several trailheads and elevation so cooler at night.

You are right...I don't think either Shining Rock or Middle Prong wilderness extends throughout that area. I answered quickly and lumped everything together.

7:01 p.m. on July 22, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
24 forum posts

thanks and sorry for the thread hijack.

Good thing in Oct temp won't be a problem - :-)

thinking of a night on sam kno close to the summit if weather permits (if a little iffy will likely go down to laurel creek)

September 23, 2018
Quick Reply