Open main menu

Trailspace in the Backyard

While this forum is called "Trailspace on the Trail," now's a great time to share pictures of "Trailspace at Home" or "Trailspace in the Backyard" while we focus on staying at home and sticking to local, shorter, socially-distant adventures during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Here's my contribution, from the northeast corner of my Maine backyard. You can't tell, but there is a dirt path underfoot that my kids have been raking out for a small mountain biking loop.

trailspace-backyard.jpg

Share your own "Trailspace at Home" pictures, indoors or out, in this forum and on Instagram,  Facebook, or Twitter (if you're so inclined). #trailspace #stayhome #adventureinplace

I didn't get a picture but my youngest son wore the old school tan one today to walk up to the grocery store (he stayed in the wagon/ didn't come in, for anyone worried about the social distancing).

I'll put it back on him tomorrow...do we get bonus points for the old school colourway?

Jake W said:

I didn't get a picture but my youngest son wore the old school tan one today to walk up to the grocery store (he stayed in the wagon/ didn't come in, for anyone worried about the social distancing).

I'll put it back on him tomorrow...do we get bonus points for the old school colourway?

I'll give your son double bonus points, and a very socially-distant thumbs up!

I recently scored a great deal on a North Face Westwind.  I forgot to wear my hat.

20200404_171623.jpg

So I set up my new Zpacks Altaplex tent in my backyard and then just as promptly took it down as rain was in forecast and didn’t feel like drying it out... hey, it rarely rains in SoCal so I’m spoiled! Ten minutes without the kids wasn’t as good as a night backpacking but.... I practiced social distancing!!!
2AD9C529-2C72-49E3-9D48-9ED2E9D3F3DD.jpg

1FCC7F9A-221B-4F14-9997-C63238E87564.jpg

1E9F812D-AB0E-4978-A3B2-29E396646447.jpg

Rain would be a good time to get in it and test it.

Nice new tents in the backyards!

I'm thinking about doing a campout in ours once our yard is dry enough. Right now it's very soft and muddy and we have 6-11 inches of snow on the way.

BF2111DB-29EC-4759-9E24-51D8121AC027.jpgNothing better then practicing social distancing on a good ole fashion walk in the rain along a stream. Especially with my good 4 legged friend Gracie on that unknown rarely used trail.

During our morning walk from home this morning. No driving required for some good wilderness emmersion 

D7469E30-E8A8-413D-8902-E301501489F7.jpg

DSC05490.jpg
Set up camp in the woods behind the house yesterday as the rain started. Wasn't expecting it to turn to snow and went with the UL tarp. This was the view when I went to bed around 10p

Heavy wet snow was bombing constantly and trees were crashing down every once in a while. With all the cracking and bombing going on I decided to go sleep in the house around midnight.

DSC05491.jpg
Seems I made a good call, because one way or another I was evacuating that hammock last night. There is a reason I use an entirely different tarp system on Winter trips. UL is L, but definitely not bomb proof :p

Well... Here you are.

TM2C_DmvzJk.jpg

DSC04836.jpgDSC04816.jpgDSC04819.jpg

Nice pics and great thread. I almost popped the tent up last night but opted for a high camp with views...settled on the deck and some more gear testing of sleeping pads...
20200411_071046.jpgA cool night near freezing meant the beanie came back out instead of the TS cap.

I'm enjoying all of the pictures above! Thanks to everyone who has shared some so far.

Like LoneStranger showed above, we got a heavy, wet April snowstorm here in Maine on Thursday night. Here's a picture from Friday taken near the same spot in our yard as the one that started this thread. It's hard to tell since it was so wet and condensed, but we got about 8 or 9 inches.

aliciabackyard1.jpg

It was enough to ski around the yard in circles for a while...
aliciadave.jpg
That occupied some of the 36 hours we spent without power/internet/heat/water. There are still a lot of outages.

Best photogenic smile goes to...Alicia,

We had a lot of flickering here but only lost power for a few minutes. Lost the top of a big pine in the back yard. That was one of the cracking sounds I heard while in the hammock. Earlier I was on a waterproof testing walk in the pouring rain when it suddenly turned white. It was like blobs of slush coming down more than snow. Very wet!

Glad you got your power back!

I hope you folks have your electric back on or have a backup generator.

Harley helping me make coffee...
IMG_1287.jpg

I think Big Red needs more TS gear!

Camping the backyard is taking on new meaning.  I slept out last night and will again tonight.  The only sounds I heard were coyotes, one donkey and some horses knickers. 

Too windy tonight to cook outside on a fire.  I am making lasagne which goes good in a Dutch Oven.  

Thanks, ghost dog, and nice collection, BigRed!

Our power/heat/etc came back after 36 hours, but we're expecting an inch or more of rain with wind gusts up to 40mph today, so we'll see if it lasts. We're improving our open fireplace and woodstove cooking though, and working on the attitude of "what will happen next?"

Alicia said:

Thanks, ghost dog, and nice collection, BigRed!

Our power/heat/etc came back after 36 hours, but we're expecting an inch or more of rain with wind gusts up to 40mph today, so we'll see if it lasts. We're improving our open fireplace and woodstove cooking though, and working on the attitude of "what will happen next?"

Good luck. 6 hours is long enough without power, 36 a very long time.

I remember the NE ice  storm of 98 where many, including us in the ADK's then, had no power for weeks.

Spring in full swing now in NC...a bit of a different back yard TS shot after a walk around the neighborhood.
20200417_170605.jpgHope you all have a great weekend getting out in the back yard.

I decided an overnighter was in order, so I threw up my Dutchware hammock and my Hammock Gear Journey tarp, tossed a few things into a pack, and made the 75’ trek to my backyard. I decided to leave my GPS at home. Quiet evening, woke to rain on my tarp while cozy within my quilts...all was right in the world for awhile, especially after some excellent Costa Rican coffee in the rain-washed air! Y’all be safe. 
F7819CAC-5D09-4685-9AAC-24CB95D1B107.jpg

Nice BB. I didn't rough it like you, although my beer was a bit flat...

Flat beer, Phil? The horror, the horror...

Last night (Friday) the Washington State Parks Foundation hosted a virtual Great WA Camp-In. Had some family that participated but we ended up getting side-tracked. No camping-in for us. https://waparks.org/greatwacamp-in/

Enjoying the sun and getting some last minute photos of a couple reviews I'm working on...both of which are shown in the photo but you'll have to wait and see what the products are once the reviews are released. 
fullsizeoutput_251.jpg

I built the fire pit a few weekends back. There's almost always a hammock hanging in those trees these days. 

20200419_161519.jpg

20200419_161500.jpg

Nice pictures! I'm admiring Goose's firepit too.

Me too...im building one almost like it in my backyard "campsite" but jealous of his view and lake out back!

7697.jpg
Camping under the apple trees in the backyard 

Nice shady spot Patrick...

Patman, I keep thinking about planting some apple trees. 

G00se, those are about 21 years old now and the apples are OK but not great. We'll cook with them (well..pies at least); They mostly feed deer and birds, which is fun to watch. 

We got a late season burst of snow so there is still xc skiing within reach of my house, but thin on our end and we don't have a car for the short drive to Bekken, so we strapped our skis to our bikes and rode around. I can also walk or run on trails about 2km to get to snow. Now we're getting multiple days of gorgeous spring weather, makes it hard to focus on work at home. 
IMG_1290.jpg
IMG_1293.jpg

But with us at home Harley is getting daily frisbee workouts:

GRS05912-1-.jpg
We have a few hepaticas aand other early bloomers in the garden, and coltsfoot coming up everywhere, but a ways to go before things start blooming in the woods. I really miss the eastern deciduous forest spring wildflower show.

Paddling and hiking close to home..following Vermont guidelines!

https://vermontpaddlepups.com/2020/04/20/stickin-close-to-home/

Nice snowfall!

Yesterday we set up the back yard hammock garden for the first time this Spring. I was wearing a TS beanie while taking the pics.

DSC05622.jpg
Topless in the afternoon sun

DSC05625.jpg
Lightly covered by the Borg inspired triple tarp conglomeration. Nice for socializing, but not going to survive long in the rain ;)

Family hammock hang!

It was nice out there this weekend. Amid all our troubles don't forget the sunscreen (like I did).

September 24, 2020
Quick Reply