Open main menu

Trailspace in the foothills

PXL_20210222_172803123.jpg

When the range you ordered for your new home is on backorder, you still need coffee!

Very nice, David!

I'm glad you were able to prepare those essentials for yourself.

David, what is the cozy around the gas canister supposed to do?

Ed

Ed- I usually just have it on when when I am cooking outside in colder temps and high altitude. I'd been told (years ago) that it would improve the heat consistency, especially as the canister went towards empty. I did find that it helped, but I can't provide any any scientific proof as to why.

Alicia... There is actually a shortage of new appliances out here! Our fridge will finally show on Saturday. Our range the first week of April, and the dishwasher mid-April. Crazy.

Love the little Soto stove. I suppose I should do a review!

David

My MSR Pocket Rocket has served as my morning coffee solution during all my home power outages for the past two decades.  

Bob

David Link said:

"..I'd been told (years ago) that it would improve the heat consistency, especially as the canister went towards empty. I did find that it helped, but I can't provide any any scientific proof as to why."

Actually, the chilling effect during stove use is from internal, not external influences. 

Insulating your canister will cause it to get colder, if you use the stove for more than a couple of minutes.  Most of us find the canister cools with use, no matter what the surrounding ambient temperature may be.  I am sure you have noticed condensation forms after the stove is in use, and in colder conditions this becomes frost.  This is because the evaporative process of the liquid fuel converting into gas state causes the contents to give up their heat.   It is basic physics. 

Ed    

Your cozy will work for a limited time, if you are starting with a canister that is warmer temperature than the ambient surroundings, such as preheating it against your body.  The evaporative process described, above, however, will sink off that heat in about the time it takes to make coffee.

A funny aside.

We live in Los Angeles, so have an emergency kit, in case of earthquakes.  Part of my kit was my Coleman double mantle, white gas lantern.  When we had the North Ridge quake, back in the 1990s, the only damage we sustained was to my lantern, the result of it getting pitched off the shelf, onto the ground.  Go figure...

Ed

April 15, 2021
Quick Reply