19 forum posts
I'm brand new to Trailspace, but am really appreciating the great information I've found so far.
My 13 year old son and I will be traveling to Yosemite in late May. I worked in Yosemite one summer while I was in college, but that was 20 years ago! We will be flying out of New Orleans to San Francisco on May 23rd and returning May 30th.
I would really appreciate any feedback you could share with us. Here's a breakdown of what we have planned so far:
- Travel from SFO to Yosemite valley. While I plan to rent a car to drive from SFO to Yosemite valley, I hate the idea of spending $500 to park a car for a week! Any thoughts on ride sharing opportunities or services?
- Would you suggest we check our backpacks (in covers to hopefully protect from the unforgiving airline equipment and handling) and carry on only our day packs with a change of clothes?
- Camp site gear - We will be camping in the valley campgrounds for most of our trip (couldn't get a back country pass). So access to potable water and facilities is not a concern. We have a small, two person tent. My son has a new, compact mummy bag rated for 35 degrees (I remember it getting COLD at night!). I'm planning on getting a 4 Liter bladder for water, and a Jetboil cooking system. I'm thinking I'll get Jetboil fuel, noodles, soup, jerky, nuts, and energy bars at the Yosemite store. Would you? I would really appreciate your feedback and thoughts on my logic so far, and a "check list" of camp site gear you would bring to feel totally prepared (but not overly cluttered).
- Clothing - We are trying to travel light, so my thinking is two of each of the following: quality hiking socks, Hi-Tec boots (they were the standard 20 years ago, and I got my son a new pair that he is currently breaking in), zip-off pants/shorts, Under armor-type under shirts and underpants. We will both have a Gortex-type shell for hiking up the mist trail and in case of rain. Caps. Am I forgetting anything or going overkill?
- Hikes - I'm thinking we will spend our first two days acclimating to the elevation shock (we are traveling from below sea level New Orleans to 4,000 ft Yosemite Valley) with a few short hikes. The third day we plan to make a run at Half Dome. I'm in the lottery for the cables permit. Already stashed gloves in my son's pack. We've got led headlamps to get a pre-dawn start (and in case of a post sunset return!). I want to try to find hidden falls again. Any MUST SEE spots you would suggest for us?
That's about as far as I've gotten. Thanks again for reading my rambling post and I would appreciate any sage advice you can share to keep us out of the rookie pitfalls.