Cumberland Island National Seashore

8:41 p.m. on October 12, 2014 (EDT)
2 reviewer rep
88 forum posts

The Mrs. and I will be doing a 2-day, 2-nighter on the beautiful Cumberland Island, GA the second week of November.  Planning on hiking from the ferry drop off at Sea Camp up to Brickhill Bluff about 10 miles north the first day, then walking south to Stafford Beach to camp for the second night.  Hoping for cool/cold weather as the chiggers, gnats and skeeters can be pretty bad in the heat.  This is such as special place but I've never camped there so I'm real excited.  It'll be my wife's first true overnight non-car camping experience.  If you've never been or heard of Cumberland Island, check it out.   I'll post a trip report when we get back.  Cheers!

http://www.nps.gov/cuis/index.htm 

1:01 p.m. on October 29, 2014 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts

2nd week of November is an excellent time to go to the island. Usually not too buggy, and the swamps are usually on their way to being dried up. 

If your moving at a decent clip, you should make it to Brickhill in about 7 hours. Plan to go over to the island on the 9:00 am ferry. Hike the trails and try to stay off the main road. Although the main road is dirt and packed sand & shells, it can be as hard as asphalt and can cause some damage (blisters) to feel that aren't used to hiking with heavy loads.

Gotta warn you - Brickhill can be sure hell during the day because of the no-seeums, but they typically move out after dark.  Nice breeze at night coming off the river. The campground isn't as dark as it used to be because of the bright lights from the submarine base across the river, but it can be enjoyable. There are some tasty clams along the river banks, and sometimes the shrimp are running.  DO NOT be surprised or worried if you happen to see a gator swimming by your campsite.  They won't bother you if you don't hassle them.

Stafford is nice because of the close proximity to the beach, but you are completely exposed to all your neighbors. It is a pretty popular campsite because of the fire rings and bath house.

If your looking for peace and quiet for your second night, you may want to consider Hickory Hill. With frequent breaks, it's about a 2 hour hike to the dock from Hickory. You can avoid the other campers easily.

When you are at orientation, it is possible that the ranger could tell you that you cannot go to your desired campsite if the park is crowded. Those who made reservations before you, get 1st pick. Have alternative campsites in mind before heading over.

Hit me up with any questions you may have about the island. I've been there almost 70 times since 1990.

When you return - great seafood restaurant down the street from the rangers station - across the street from the parking lot.

January 27, 2020
Quick Reply