northern south carolina

1:54 p.m. on February 4, 2015 (EST)
33 reviewer rep
85 forum posts

i'm trying to plan a trip for my brother and I to do together and he lives in southcarolina and i live in tennessee. I'm looking for some fairly easy trails, maybe 2 nights in the northern south carolina area. any suggestions?

2:23 p.m. on February 4, 2015 (EST)
REVIEW CORPS
4,241 reviewer rep
603 forum posts

Hey JP,

I live in SC (Columbia) and I hike in that area sometimes. I prefer NC, but SC does have some nice options for sure. Are you looking for one two night hike, a basecamp with several day hikes, or two separate overnight hikes?

Jones Gap State Park has some really nice hikes and it has some really nice camping options. Ravencliff Falls is a nice day hike in nearby Caesar's Head State Park.

The Chatooga River area (Burrell's Ford) also has wonderful camping and some pretty easy hikes. That is my go-to easy backpacking trip.

Table Rock is a great day hike, but I am pretty sure that you can't primitive camp on that trail.

There is also a nice section of The Foothills Trail that goes from Sassafras Mountain to Pinnacle Mountain.

There is also a helpful thread here.

11:46 a.m. on February 7, 2015 (EST)
1,753 reviewer rep
3,956 forum posts

Anything around Walhalla SC, including the Chatooga River Trail, Sections of the Foothills Trail, and the Ellicot Rock Wilderness Area at the junction of the three states Ga, Nc, Sc.

All these are easy access, good trail systems, and lots to see.

September 21, 2019
Quick Reply