agnew meadows hiking area

11:24 p.m. on July 30, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
57 forum posts

Hello.  Looking to hike Agnew Meadows to Thousand Island Lake, Ediza Lake, Iceberg Lake, CA etc this fall.  Is the week of October 18 too late?  Thanks for any info and or sharing of experiences!   ---Donna

9:21 a.m. on July 31, 2015 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,737 forum posts

You picked a nice area. The weather most years is fine in Oct. but you will need to bring some extra clothes just in case. I love October in the Sierra.

10:36 p.m. on August 1, 2015 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
57 forum posts

I don't mind cold.  I was just concerned about snow...

6:19 p.m. on August 3, 2015 (EDT)
40 reviewer rep
560 forum posts

Depends on the eminent arrival of the Ninos this year.  Keep an eye out for the near term forecasts.  But I'd plan on it.  Expect 20Fs at least at night.

I have only been snowed on once in October in the eastern Sierra where there was any significant accumulations.  That makes the risk fairly low.

November is more chancy especially later in the month.  October is nice.  Few bugs or people.

9:49 a.m. on August 4, 2015 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,737 forum posts

I am with speacock. It can definitely snow, but it usually doesn't. Accumulations should not slow you down much. The ground is still warm then, and it usually warms up during the day. High pressure is typical, and it is one of the best months of the year. A fire feels good. The aspens and willows will have turned. Up high the aspens can be orange and red, besides yellow. You might add a traction device for your boots just in case.

May 26, 2019
Quick Reply