Can someone help me? Does anyone know where this picture was taken?

3:26 a.m. on October 7, 2015 (EDT)
44 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

outdoor-research-ad-pic.jpg

I saw this picture on an outdoor research ad and I've been trying to figure out where this is?  I'm assuming some famous lake in the USA but haven't had any success in my research.  I actually emailed outdoor research and was told by a sales rep she would pass it along to their marketing department but never heard back from anyone.  Any help would be appreciated. 

10:24 a.m. on October 7, 2015 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,034 forum posts

I am guessing Alberta, Canada. The water color is related to glacial silt. The geology looks like the northern Rockies. It could be a lot of places.

10:36 a.m. on October 7, 2015 (EDT)
482 reviewer rep
324 forum posts

Ppine that would be my guess too. Peyto Lake in Banff National Park Alberta. The colour of the water suggests it is glacially fed. The fluvial formation in the lower left hand portion of the river is also an identifier and indicates that the hiker is looking in a northerly direction just off the trail. 

11:23 a.m. on October 7, 2015 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
4,534 reviewer rep
6,035 forum posts

I beg to differ slightly with North. Look at the hiker's shadow. The shadow is fairly short. The sun's elevation is about 60°, so probably about noon, based on the shadow angle. If it is Northern Hemisphere, the sun at noon would be close to due south. That says the hiker is facing close to due west, unless this is Southern Hemisphere (it reminds me of a lake in the Andes), in which case he is facing east.

12:03 p.m. on October 7, 2015 (EDT)
482 reviewer rep
324 forum posts

Good call Bill, I can live with that. If it is Peyto Lake in Alberta then the fluvial deposition I mentioned is Peyto Creek which enters from the South West from Peyto Glacier (part of the Wapta Icefield). The outlet of the lake forms Mistaya River and can be seen to the left of center of the photo. The hiker then would be looking more westerly than northerly as I had previously mentioned.

Where the hiker is standing is a short day hike from the Icefields Parkway, a highway connecting Banff and Jasper National Parks. The highway is named after the Columbia Icefield, the largest ice field in the Rocky Mountains. The area is quite scenic with great views of the alpine country and glaciers.

And, yes the lake is famous, with many of the surrounding peaks attracting pioneering climbers like Conrad Kain who made many of the first accents back in the day.

4:21 p.m. on October 7, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
9,071 reviewer rep
1,510 forum posts

First place that popped into my mind was Oeschinensee, but on closer look the mountain slopes don't look right. After looking at other pics of Peyto I'm not sure the shape of the lake matches up.

Interesting game though. I suggest the person who comes up with the answer gets to post the next picture :)

10:01 a.m. on October 9, 2015 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts

I bet a Looney it is Lake Louise (or perhaps Moraine Lake).

10:15 p.m. on October 9, 2015 (EDT)
44 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

I really appreciate all your responses so far.  Thanks to everyone trying to help me.  I can say that I am from Alberta and regularly visit Peyto, lake Louise etc and know that it is definitely not any of those.  We noticed the shadow as well and thought it had to be south of our Great White North region, thus assuming the United States.  We thought perhaps it is Ellen Wilson lake in Montana's Glacier national park?  

9:56 a.m. on October 13, 2015 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts

I don't think that's a shadow at all.  I think that's the guy/gals poodle stretched out enjoying the hot rocks .

1:43 p.m. on October 14, 2015 (EDT)
253 reviewer rep
195 forum posts

Where exactly was the photo from?  If it is in a catalog, often other photos in the catalog were taken in the same place i.e. one photo shoot.  Maybe there is a credit for the photographer? 

Outdoor Research is located in Washington so a better than even chance it is near there.  

2:11 p.m. on October 14, 2015 (EDT)
44 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

The photo was from an advertisement off of a Canadian outdoor retailer site that sells Outdoor research products.  This was the picture on their website that linked you to their specific products.  There was no credit for a photographer, I checked for that.  

4:32 p.m. on October 16, 2015 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,034 forum posts

The geology is decidedly sedimentary which makes Washington an unlikely location. If the shadow really is a dog, then it is probably not Montana and we are back to "somewhere in Alberta" probably one of the Parks Canada locations.

8:28 a.m. on October 21, 2015 (EDT)
940 reviewer rep
783 forum posts

Ha ha Ed!  I enhanced the photo and it is the hiker's shadow.  It does look like a sleeping dog though!

12:01 p.m. on October 21, 2015 (EDT)
28 reviewer rep
1,261 forum posts

my statement about the dog was meant to be a joke :)

10:50 p.m. on October 21, 2015 (EDT)
RETAILER
13 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

Is anybody not so sure it a photograph?

It looks a bit "contrived"/odd etc and no credits

10:51 p.m. on October 21, 2015 (EDT)
RETAILER
13 reviewer rep
25 forum posts

Correction

Is anybody not so sure it is a photograph?

It looks a bit "contrived"/odd etc and no credits

3:27 a.m. on October 26, 2015 (EDT)
44 reviewer rep
10 forum posts

And the answer is.............. Oeschinensee Lake, Switzerland.  All our research finally paid off.  I'm somewhat disappointed, perhaps due to the fact I will need to find some other riddle to solve (it's been frustratingly fun) and the knowledge that I won't be hiking that area anytime soon.  The funny part of it all, is that it looks remote, yet is quite commercialized.  There is a resort and ski hill at the back end of the lake with trails all around the lake.  Thought someone else might want to know the answer :)  Dianne

6:47 a.m. on October 26, 2015 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
9,071 reviewer rep
1,510 forum posts

That explains why that was my first guess.  The color of the water is what brought it to mind. I've read that despite being accessible it makes for great hiking. Certainly picturesque.

2:41 a.m. on November 4, 2015 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
13 forum posts

Pika1 said:

And the answer is.............. Oeschinensee Lake, Switzerland.  All our research finally paid off.  I'm somewhat disappointed, perhaps due to the fact I will need to find some other riddle to solve (it's been frustratingly fun) and the knowledge that I won't be hiking that area anytime soon.  The funny part of it all, is that it looks remote, yet is quite commercialized.  There is a resort and ski hill at the back end of the lake with trails all around the lake.  Thought someone else might want to know the answer :)  Dianne

Nice, congrats to solving the riddle. I think now that you did all this research, you should go there. 

10:49 a.m. on November 4, 2015 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
4,034 forum posts

Switzerland is beautiful as we can see, but there is a ski lift and a village around every ridge and valley. Give me North America. 

January 29, 2020
Quick Reply