Mid March Trails

1:43 p.m. on January 3, 2016 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Ok so me and my best friends want to go on a hiking trip during spring break (instead of getting drunk) we are 3Rd year students in College. We are in decent shape and can move 20-25 miles a day maybe more. We want to be gone for 5 to 6 days and we love to travel. So no place is to far. We need help finding a trail tho. Could y'all please help us?

3:21 p.m. on January 3, 2016 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,424 forum posts

Go to the Grand Canyon, make reservations now for a permit. Go to http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/backcountry-permit.htm  and follow through. Then get a permit for the South Kaibab Trail in the canyon then stay at Bright Angel Campground at the bottom, then pack on to Cottonwood Camp towards the north rim staying the 2nd night, then back to Bright Angel camp the 3rd, then up to Indian Gardens the fourth night and hike out the fifth day.

7:18 p.m. on January 3, 2016 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

alright I will have to look into that any suggestions on out of country trails?

5:38 a.m. on January 4, 2016 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,467 forum posts

You should provide additional info, such as:

•  Has anyone in your group backpacked before? If so, how much experience.
  • Are any of your group inexperienced?
  • One can travel to warm destinations or snow destination that time of year.  What are your intentions?
  • How well equipped is the group?

You state you are in "decent shape" and then go on to say you are good for 20 - 25 miles/day.  With a pack that can easily equate to Marathon level exertion.  That distance translates to top level conditioning, as few people can hike that distance with a pack in a single day, let alone do it daily for days on end.  What hiking or other activities have you done that makes you think you have this level of conditioning?

Ed

4:29 p.m. on January 4, 2016 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Ok sorry for the confusion. Where we normally hike it is very flat, so we can cover many miles in a day. We all play semi pro rugby and have good stamina. We have hiked before but it has always been flat. Most challenge we have had was "hiking" down a 60 mile beach and back. So we have experience but not so much with mountains witch is where we would like to go. Somewhere cold would be prefered. And we are well equipped, normally go out equipped for 3 weeks but only stay up to 6 to 7 days. 

4:38 p.m. on January 4, 2016 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

We are pretty large guys tho. One of our team memebers is from New Zealand and he is an avid backpacker, he told us the hardest part for us in the mountains will be decending the slopes and is willing to help us train for thos parts. And I assume we will also have to take the altitude in account to since we have been at sea level all our lives. So is 2-4 miles a day a more reasonable goal in the mountains for us?

12:39 a.m. on January 5, 2016 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,424 forum posts

The Grand canyon is just the opposite of hiking in the mountains. You start at the rim(s) and hike down to the bottom or halfway to the Tonto Platform. Then after a day or so rest you hike back to the rims. Its a 5000-6000 foot elevation descent into the canyon, the north side is the higher drop. Its 14 miles from the north rim to the Colorado river and 9 miles from the south side rim to the river.

The south side rim is about 8000 feet high and the north 9000 feet. The Colorado is at about 2400 feet above sea level.

Here is a link to a topographical map of the Grand Canyons heart where the main tourist trails are: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=36.098877,-112.092732&z=12&t=t2 You can zoom in and change the view from satellite,terrain and other views with the down arrow search where it says t2 MyTopo in the upper right.

Go to Menu search at its left and click the down arrow, then choose Search and a new search line will appear at top. Type in anyplace name in the world and it will bring it up on the screen.

I use this Gmap4 site to choose my next hikes and bike tours.

I hope you find what you are looking for!

6:16 a.m. on January 5, 2016 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,467 forum posts

Going either up or down mountains can be difficult; it depends on the specific route and conditions.  I would not advise traveling a considerable distance from the trailhead in snow, as it perhaps only one of you may have the experience necessary to do so safely.  Therefore I would discourage even considering a trip to snow.

Gary's Canyon - what else did you think GC stands for - hike is plenty of challenge, both on the decent and climb back out.  The hike up or down river along the plateau inside the canyon is more pedestrian, but worth the effort.  There are other good canyon land hikes, too.  You may also consider car camping as a base camp to explore the region.  Arches, Zion and other area destinations lend themselves to this type activity. In fact there are many good desert locations, but you will have to do some homework to plan a long hike, as water is an issue, and with the trending drought conditions many once considered reliable springs have dried up.  Thus refer to a trail guide for ideas, but confirm with the local authorities about water before you commit.

Ed

9:43 a.m. on January 5, 2016 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,424 forum posts

whomeworry said: You may also consider car camping as a base camp to explore the region.

Zion NP in southwest Utah is a great place to do that with plenty day hikes around the valley of the Narrows. Go to: http://www.nps.gov/zion/index.htm for camping and hiking information.

There's Angels Landing, the West Rim, the east rim, Observation Point, Cable Mountain, the Virgin River Narrows.

View-from-Observation-Point-Zion-NP-Utah
View from Observation Point looking southwest. Angels Landing is the reddish point just right of center, Cable Mountain is the high squared wall mount on the left.

View-from-Scouts-Lookout-on-way-to-Angel
View the top of Angel's Landing trail looking north, Observation point is the high point on the right where tree's flank the point along a straight top.  The drop below the guy is about 1388 feet to the river and road below.

This map link shows Angels Landing (center) and Observation Point just northeast http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=37.272209,-112.945096&z=14&t=t2  O.P. is 717 feet higher than A.L.

4:41 p.m. on January 5, 2016 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Alright thank y'all both very much we are looking into these and hope that we can take the challenge of the slopes. 

11:03 a.m. on January 6, 2016 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
4,026 forum posts

Twenty five miles a day or more, in the mountains and you live at sea level.  I am guessing you need someone to guide you.  I would not go out of the country until you figure out what you are doing.  The best backpacking in the world is in North America.

January 23, 2020
Quick Reply