The Great Indian Warpath

1:45 a.m. on April 10, 2016 (EDT)
173 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

So I'm trying to figure out how much of this path is still left as I'd like to plan a hike around it and atleast end up in PA at Warriors Path State Park because it was my backyard basically growing up and learning the outdoors. There is another Park near there but I for the life of me can't remember it's name that I'd stay a few nights or more in too. It seems like most of the trail maybe intact and little known so it just may pan out for a good time. Im pretty sure that the Maryland part is gone but I maybe wrong I just know that area a bit and it's pretty built-up but hopefully I'm wrong. If anyone has any info on this path/trail I'd appreciate even the smallest detail will help.

10:16 a.m. on April 10, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,067 forum posts

Goodt idea. There is some great country to hike in PA and MD.  I miss all of that history, and running into the old farmsteads in out of the way places.

In an age when the AT has turned into a sort of turnpike, it makes a lot of sense to seek out some of the old trails that might be hard to follow.  They can get brushed in, but would be rewarding to follow. It just takes some good map reading skills and determination.   Good luck on your quest.

11:04 p.m. on April 10, 2016 (EDT)
173 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

Thank ppine I appreciate it! I honestly never knew how far it went! My great grandmother just told me it was a very old trail that branched off and was not just used for war parties but as trade routes too, it would have definitely sucked to be going to trade and run up on a war party! I'm definitely gonna do more research on the path/trail I'd like to take it back to my home town. 

9:44 a.m. on April 11, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
4,067 forum posts

We have some trails around here that go over the Sierras to the other side that were used by the Washoe Indians.  They traded  foods like pine nuts for black oak acorns among other things with some of the groups like the Digger Indians.  I used to meet up with some of the tribal elders doing hydrotherapy after an accident.  They told me all about the trails, which don't show up much on maps.  Most of the trail systems in the Sierras go north and south up and down the range.

I would plan on not going very fast on one of the old trails.  They could be rough and a little hard to follow in places.  When in doubt, take the path of least resistance.  It is interesting to think that some of the interstate highways follow the old buffalo trail across the Great Plains.

3:16 p.m. on April 11, 2016 (EDT)
NONPROFIT REP FORMER STAFF
640 reviewer rep
1,184 forum posts

I've never heard of such a path Tracker, but if you find the route, please share. If you're looking for a less traveled trail in PA - you might check the "Great Eastern Trail" route: http://www.greateasterntrail.net/maps-trail-descriptions/

9:54 p.m. on April 11, 2016 (EDT)
173 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

Seth if you Google it pops up with Wikipedia page. There is a Warriors Path State Park in Saxton Pa it's where I grew up very very small town. We had 1 stop light and no police now as far as I know still 1 stop light and now 1 police officer....lol. It's also the site of Sunday Rock a large rock at the top of a small mountain with a cave below it (I was too young to get to the cave). There is another much larger park near there with much more to do but I can't remember it's name we called it balance rock due to a well a large rock balanced on the edge of a cliff but that is not the correct name of the park. Both are well out of the way for most and little known. If visiting in the fall Warriors Path does require you to wear something blaze orange as its open to hunters . I got my 1st buck there right along the path. Wildlife is abundant as poaching is not a practice that is taught or tolerated by the locals at all, so you will see alot of critters and if you fish definitely bring a rod and reel! Very interesting area with some interesting things to see that would suprise some and definitely worth checking out if your in the area or looking for a new adventure.

10:15 p.m. on April 11, 2016 (EDT)
173 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

ppine I definitely want to have good info before I try it and I'm sure parts are either gone or well grown over so your right about the path of least resistance. I still have to get cleared by my doctor to do anything major like that and then I can take it nice and slow I hate being rushed anyway that's how mistakes happen and that's never good.

11:34 p.m. on April 11, 2016 (EDT)
173 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

Seth I just looked at the Great Eastern Trail and the 2 trails would run parallel to each other you can zoom in and see Saxton and Warriors Path State Park now my hopes are higher as I'm sure that these 2 trails connected at some point.If not it will get me close to my destination and I can make my way from there. Thank you for the link it's a great alternative that honestly may just flat out be a better way.

9:22 a.m. on April 12, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
6,038 reviewer rep
654 forum posts

Tracker, I believe the additional park you are thinking of near Warriors Path State Park is Trough Creek State Park. This is where the balanced rock is. I visited both in the summer of 2014 and wrote a short trip report (read here). From my conversations with local park rangers, the two parks actually fall under the jurisdiction of the same park office and share resources.

Both these parks sit on the edge of scenic Raystown Lake. Warriors Path SP on the southern end and Trough Creek SP on the eastern side. The Army Corps of Engineers manages a large swath of land on the western side of the lake, and I believe they manage the lake and dam itself. 

Most of the known history of Trough Creek SP is about iron furnaces and CCC work crews. Both histories are very evident still today. 

As for Warriors Path SP, the history is much harder to come by. All that the states's DCNR provides is:

The 349-acre Warriors Path State Park lies very near the famous path used by the Iroquois in raids and wars with the Cherokees and other American Indians in southern Pennsylvania. Various tracts of land for the park were donated beginning in 1959. The park was dedicated in the summer of 1965.    

-PA DCNR website: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/findapark/warriorspath/index.htm

I don't know about this particular native war path, but I am aware of and have hiked and helped maintain one in the southwestern part of the PA, perhaps a couple hours drive from the Saxton area. It may have, at one time, been connected to the path you are describing.

The still intact one I am talking about is known as The Warrior Trail. I won't go on and on about it because there are many links that you can follow and read more about it. If you'd like more info, I'd be happy to discuss, but I'll leave you with these links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrior_Trail

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/outdoors/2005/08/19/Hitting-the-Trails-Our-own-Long-day-s-journey-and-then-some/stories/200508190194

Happy reading and happy hiking! 

9:06 p.m. on April 12, 2016 (EDT)
173 reviewer rep
391 forum posts

KiwiKimber that is definitely the other park I was referring to! I remember when Raystown lake was just a beach area and a few boat landings. There is also an old nuclear reactor that's shut down not too far from there. It's really cool that someone has been in that area and so close to my home town!  I have no doubt there is little info on Warriors Path State Park even the town of Saxton has large gaps in its history. Thanks for the info I'll be digging through it all night I'm sure.

March 28, 2020
Quick Reply