1,495 forum posts
My son is going to go to Boston area for the last week of June. Rather than paying for a plane ticket, it sounds like an opportunity for me to drop him off, have about 5 or 6 days clear and pick him back up on July 2. Any suggestions to help guide my search...I was thinking the White Mountains but am open to other ideas. A few parameters:
- A loop would be the most efficient for me to keep flexibility in schedule
- Probably 5 nights, 6 days max but slightly shorter would be OK so I wouldn't be in a rush to get back to MA
- Prefer a moderate pace that gives me the flexibility to hang around a beautiful camp or explore an interesting side valley without cutting into the itinerary
- I usually stay in or canoe during the mid summer to avoid the heat, so something with elevation and cooler temps would be preferred.
- While I am an avid bushwacker, I am fine with trails especially in a new area where I want to see some of the highlights etc and am not as familiar with typical vegetation and ground conditions that affect off trail routes
- That said, I am not a fan of crowds and prefer to leave dayhikers behind after the first few miles. If there is a way to avoid most everyone that would be even better.
- I don't like established camp areas and Really don't like mandatory designated ones. Personal quirk I guess...takes the freedom and flexibility out of it for me
Any thoughts from you folks in the Northeast would be appreciated. If nothing fits my list of parameters I am flexible on some of the items. I am shopping for a map of the Whites so suggestions there would be welcome as well. Thanks.