New adventure south.

8:56 a.m. on May 9, 2016 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,352 forum posts

In about 2-4 weeks I am leaving the job I just got at Family Dollar here in Orderville Utah to cycle on south to Arizona. 

I plan to buy a new bicycle, load it lightly with just my tent, sleeping bag, pad,some light clothes and water bottles and tools and go back west to Zion Nat Park, then south to Colorado City which is on the NW corner of the AZ/UT border, then swing back around east to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, then down to Marble Canyon and Lees Ferry on the Colorado River at the mouth of the Paria Canyon, then south across Navajo Bridge and down to Cameron on the Little Colorado River, then west again to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, then southeast to Flagstaff.

A friend who owns a hotel down there has offered me a job whenever I want to come. From Orderville to Flagstaff is 530 miles the way I want to go, I figure about 10 days of riding, plus a couple weeks more of playing tourist and sight seeing at the places along the way, so about 3 weeks here to Flagstaff.

This map link shows my proposed route for my 70th bike tour since 1982.

In October I will cycle on down to southeastern Arizona for the winter from Flagstaff.

avenue-d-burntorange-21.jpg
This is the new bike I am ordering soon. Its all aluminum, so very lightweight. The shifters are also the disk brake levers, has 21 speeds and is $400. I will add a rear rack, water bottles and a tool kit and head and tail lights. Maybe an odometer.

In the Grand Canyon I plan to try to do a overnight hike if I can get a standby back country permit.

4:07 p.m. on May 11, 2016 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,352 forum posts

Plans change! I just finished working 9 days straight helping set up the new Family Dollar store here in Orderville Utah. Made enough to pay a months rent and save $500. I am only being offered 2 days a week work, can't buy the new bike, would barely pay my rent, so I am going to hitchhike to Flagstaff AZ. Its a big small town of 30,000 students (who most of which will be gone for the summer and 38,000 residents. I lived there 2 1/2 years from March 2009 to October 2011. Much more jobs and the Grand Canyon is closeby, Oak Creek, Sycamore and Walnut Canyons, the San Francisco Peaks, Petrified Forest, Grand Falls and the Painted desert, Meteor Crater and Sedona.

Plan to leave weekend after next now on the 20th. 

9:28 p.m. on May 11, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

Gary, what happened to your previus bike?

Was it damaged beyond repair in a collision with a truck?

10:01 p.m. on May 11, 2016 (EDT)
273 reviewer rep
1,943 forum posts

Keep us in the loop on your plans....

11:50 a.m. on May 12, 2016 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,352 forum posts

Yury M; No my bike wasn't damaged at all, I just could not afford to ship it down where I came so I sold it with plans to buy a new one this summer.

10:21 p.m. on May 14, 2016 (EDT)
32 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Sounds like a great ride. What type of bike is the 400.00 aluminum bike please.

11:27 a.m. on May 15, 2016 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,352 forum posts

Cacher asked:  What type of bike is the 400.00 aluminum bike please.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/gravity/disc-brake-road-flat-bar/avenue-d-discbrake-roadbikes.htm 
avenue-d-burntorange-21.jpg

5:02 p.m. on May 15, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
32 forum posts

Gary, do you install fenders on your bikes or only rear and front racks?

10:56 p.m. on May 15, 2016 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,352 forum posts

Just racks, I use a piece of cardboard strapped on the back as a fender and wear shoe covers to keep my feet dry in a rian or when riding through water puddles.

That bike above has brazon screws for both the front and rear racks. Go to the site link above and take a look at the bike close up to see them (there is a zoom tool on the site to be able to see close-up on the whole bike). There are three on each side of the front forks and two in the back one where the rear fork leaves the seat tube and the other just above the axle on the rear fork. It also has two brazon screws for two water bottle mounts on the down and seat tubes.

I like this bike cause its all aluminum and has brake gear shifters, meaning two less gear cables.

8:09 p.m. on June 16, 2016 (EDT)
32 reviewer rep
5 forum posts

Thank you very much, for the indepth details.

August 19, 2019
Quick Reply