Good overnight backpacking in CO??

1:40 p.m. on May 13, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Never been before. I am pretty open to anywhere in CO. Nothing too insane mileage wise. Thanks!

4:28 p.m. on May 13, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,994 forum posts

Get a recent map and check out all of the wilderness areas on USFS land. Avoid the National Parks.  They are all good places to go.

5:09 p.m. on May 13, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Thanks! I guess I have so little time there, I wanted to hit some great spots.

8:19 p.m. on May 13, 2016 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,780 reviewer rep
1,638 forum posts

Are you going to be in a specific area? Its a big state

1:51 a.m. on May 14, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

I don't have the itinerary planned yet.

Get into Denver. South to Great Sand Dunes. Stay there a night. then really anywhere in between there and Steamboat springs (i'll be in steamboat a couple days).

9:47 a.m. on May 14, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,994 forum posts

Throw a dart on a map and it will be a great place west of Denver.

Great Sand Dunes is just a giant sand pile to me. I like to be in the mountains chasing the elk around and catching trout with a handline.

3:14 p.m. on May 18, 2016 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
7 forum posts

Thanks!

Any tips for adjusting to altitude/avoiding altitude sickness.

6:14 p.m. on May 24, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,994 forum posts

There is no substitute for time at elevation acclimating. Start out in Denver at 5,000 feet for a couple of days.  Then car camp at 7,500 feet for awhile. Then you can think about backpacking some place a little higher.  Stay hydrated. Avoid fats and minimize alcohol comumption. Get some sleep.  I would suggest coca mate but it is not legal.

8:06 p.m. on May 24, 2016 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
940 reviewer rep
783 forum posts

Aspirin.  And if you are going to be at the Dunes, you might as well head up to Poncha Springs because you'll be smack dab in the middle of a bunch of 14ers.  Tons of trails there and if you need to bail, you can always stay in Poncha Springs.

9:57 a.m. on May 26, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,994 forum posts

People seem to have some anxiety about "going to the best spots."  This is a relatively new phenomenon that I think has been created by outdoor magazines and their endless articles on the "10 most scenic places in Colorado" and the like.  Just get out there. You do not want to go to the most popular places anyway. Estes Park is a good example of a town I would drive around.

11:06 a.m. on May 27, 2016 (EDT)
RETAILER REVIEW CORPS
4,241 reviewer rep
603 forum posts

I'm going on an overnight in the Aspen area in early July from The Maroon Bells Lake to Conundrum Hot Springs. It is supposed to be really beautiful. I also highly recommend the San Juan Mountains in Western CO. It just depends on where you'll be.

10:35 p.m. on June 8, 2016 (EDT)
40 reviewer rep
560 forum posts

Conundrum Hot Springs are placed in the perfect place for a post long day walk.  You can't get there without a long walk.  It is a large 'wild' spring.  Clothing is very optional.

It is a favorite autumn hike.  The trail is chockablock full of aspens.

You won't have time to fully adjust to the altitude, but taking it slow for the first few (perhaps all) days will help stave off some symptoms.   Almost everybody comes from near sea level to Colorado.  Considering the relatively few number of visitors (and locals) who get significant symptoms, you can tend to not worry about it.  More than likely by the second day you will have forgotten you are very high.  Just monitor symptoms like headache and being somewhat not interested in eating or sleeping. 

6:01 a.m. on June 9, 2016 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,438 forum posts

Staying well hydrated, well fed, and well rested go far to minimize the affects of altitude.

Ed

December 7, 2019
Quick Reply