arctic circle trail

12:33 p.m. on May 30, 2016 (EDT)
231 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a hike in Greenland and have some questions.

I have a friend who I'm trying to convince to go but he is concerned about a few things.

1. Being on our own for 9-12 days we will be carrying a lot of food and the weight of the packs.

Does anyone have experience being in an area like this for that many days?

2. The flight to Greenland is not direct, we will have to go to Copenhagen first with a 12-18 hr. layover and then onto Greenland.

How dependable are the flights?

I'm more concerned with bringing the proper tent and sleeping bag.

I have a North face Mountain 35 at 11 pounds, Mountain Hardwear Drifter 3 at 6lbs.

The -25 sleeping bag I think would be to much so it would be between the 35 degree and the 15 degree, both down and used with a thermolite liner. 

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Than you, Ralph

6:09 p.m. on May 30, 2016 (EDT)
482 reviewer rep
324 forum posts

Although I have never hiked the Arctic Circle Trail I have hiked and camped throughout the Arctic for many decades. Your choice of tents, the Mountain 35 will be great for such terrain although somewhat heavy. It is always important to guy it out at all times as winds can come up without notice. As for sleeping gear I would personally opt for the warmer of the two bags. In fact I don't have a sleeping bag rated for above freezing. If I get hot or anticipate sunny conditions I can unzip the bag and throw it over me. You will encounter 24 hour sunlight in the summer months and it can get hot inside the tent, but by morning it can be rather cold, especially near the glacier. 

Flights are famous for not being on time in my area of the Arctic. When I was in Nuuk a number of years ago the plane was delayed by several days due to weather. Be patient and you will have a wonderful time! Looking forward to your trip report.

6:40 a.m. on May 31, 2016 (EDT)
231 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Thanks north1,  If I can't convince my friend to go then I may not be going. I know a few hikers that want to go but the wives say "no".

9:39 a.m. on May 31, 2016 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,945 forum posts

They need different wives.

October 23, 2019
Quick Reply