Open Invitation - Wind River Range Trip

3:54 p.m. on September 1, 2016 (EDT)
800 reviewer rep
2,162 forum posts

Greetings fellow Trailspacians, 
Yes, I know, the long lost Gonzan has appeared! 
First, my apologies for my long absence, though I can't promise I'll be around all the time either. 2.5 years ago I launched my full time fine art career, and between that and a new addition to our family, I haven't had a moment to come up for breath, much less fraternize with all you trail bums ;) 

Wind-River-trip-image.jpg

All that aside, I am looking for a capable, self reliant, good natured, responsible yet easy going, traditional minded hiking partner for trip to the Wind river range in a few weeks.  While I am completely able to backpack solo in the western wilderness, It would be wiser to do so with at least one other person given the onset of autumn, the high numbers of bears, and the remoteness factor. 

Here's the deal, I have five extra days in NW wyoming after a painting conference wraps up, and I want to get the most out of them. So, I'll be heading into the back country to spend several days painting, fly fishing, and getting reference for my work.

Here are the details so far:

- September 24th - 28th 
- Meetup in Dubois or Lander Wyoming. 
- partially shared transportation is possible, but only if it works easily. 
- Exact back country route is yet to be determined, though I'm nailing that down right now. 
- No more than 12 miles hike in and out, with 2-3 days camping in a general area, exact camp location may change by a few miles each day.

These factors are required and non negotiable:
- You must be experienced in wilderness backpacking
- You must be able to pull 12 mile days at elevation, with several thousand feet of elevation change. 
- You must be fully self reliant. 
- I am not providing food, food storage, water filters, bear protection, or ANY equipment. You must have your own gear and supplies, and be proficient in their use. 
- You must be comfortable and capable being in brown bear country and at high elevation.
- You must have prior high elevation experience, and know that you are not susceptible to altitude sickness. 
- Indian Reservation Access Fees or any other fees necessary for the trip would be shared. 

- No offense will be taken If I elect not to take someone, for any reason whatsoever, stated or not. 

I think that just about covers it for now, I'll post detailed route info as I have it finalized. 

9:38 a.m. on September 3, 2016 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
2,710 reviewer rep
1,511 forum posts

The return of the prodigal son!

But seriously, happy to hear your absence has been so fruitful.

I won't be anywhere near the Wind River Range that time of year.

Good to see that Impressionism; Cezanne would approve.

1:05 p.m. on September 3, 2016 (EDT)
800 reviewer rep
2,162 forum posts

Haha! Thanks, Pillowthread :) 

8:06 p.m. on September 7, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
5,771 reviewer rep
644 forum posts

What a tempting invitation! 

Ages ago I was working for a company that offered a guided Wind River Range trip for some of its employees as a team-building experience. Did I go? Nope. Instead, I got stuck with creating an detailed interactive Google map that tracked the group's whereabouts, pointed out area highlights and geographical features, and allowed loved ones to check on the team's progress. I was sooooo jealous! 

Someday I'll get there, but not this year. 

Best wishes, Gonzan! 

4:51 p.m. on September 8, 2016 (EDT)
800 reviewer rep
2,162 forum posts

Thanks KiwiKlimber, 
Oh man, not getting to go on that company paid for trip would be sooooo frustrating! 
Good luck making it happen sometime! 

4:47 p.m. on September 22, 2016 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,498 forum posts

Drool...

Sounds like a good time. 

I like your requirements.  May I suggest one other?  Require gear that meets a specified performance level, (e.g. sleeping bag rated to X degrees; full coverage rain gear that does not rely on sprays, etc, garment insulation good for X degrees).  I have had several trips cut short, including my most recent, because others chose to flout the anticipated weather conditions in order to shave a pound or two off their base weight.  You certainly don't want this trip to be held hostage to a shivering fool.

Ed 

11:45 a.m. on October 27, 2016 (EDT)
800 reviewer rep
2,162 forum posts

Thanks for the great suggestions, Ed. 

The hiking partner that had signed on ended up bailing out on me the day before our planned start. His reasons were legitimate and couldn't be helped, but it was extremely frustrating, none the less.  

I ended up seeing not a single soul for three whole days, which was really quite wonderful. When I get around to sorting my photos, I'll be sure to come post some. 

11:55 a.m. on October 27, 2016 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
9,230 reviewer rep
1,530 forum posts

I was just talking to someone about planning partnered trips so that if something goes wrong and one person can't go the other is prepared to go solo. Glad their change of plans didn't ruin yours.

Hope you do give us a trip report when you can. That is some beautiful country out there.

February 26, 2020
Quick Reply