Anyone near Charleston?

9:05 a.m. on November 12, 2017 (EST)
174 reviewer rep
96 forum posts

I am looking for some backpacking, overnighter near Charleston. The foothills trail is attractive, but I am looking for something less than 2 hours drive from Charleston, SC.

Thanks hooty 

9:49 a.m. on November 12, 2017 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,827 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

Spent some time down there years ago...not much except for paddling opportunities that I recall. I think there are some trails in Francis Marion NF...Swamp Fox trail?

6:30 p.m. on November 19, 2017 (EST)
1,024 reviewer rep
682 forum posts

I wish you meant Mt. Charleston, Nevada instead. I'm doing winter camping there again this winter. I'll be above 9,000 ft. but probably below 11,000 ft.

Seems very few choose to camp in the splendor of winter. With the right gear it is actually comfortable. You just have to contend with short days and long nights in a tent or star gazing in sub-zero temps. Bring your Kindle or iPad. :o)

Eric B.

4:46 p.m. on January 5, 2018 (EST)
174 reviewer rep
96 forum posts

We found a place not too terribly far away. 4 hours to the foothills trail and other trails in that area around Table Rock State Park, Oconee State Park, Chatooga, Gorges, etc...

I instantly fell in love with the landscape and trails. Of all the state parks I have ever visited the rangers at Oconee and TR are the the friendliest.

4:51 p.m. on January 5, 2018 (EST)
174 reviewer rep
96 forum posts

By the way- that is the closest we could find, but, although we wanted something closer, the beauty made Up for the extra drive time.

November 19, 2019
Quick Reply