ANY "COOL" WINTER TRIPS PLANNED?

6:34 p.m. on November 19, 2017 (EST)
929 reviewer rep
635 forum posts

Anyone going on a winter backpacking/ski camping trip this winter? For sure I'll be going up to the nearby Spring Mountains in the north side of the 'Vegas valley a few times this winter. I'll camp between 9,000 ft. and 11,000 ft. Every time I return home (3,500 ft. I feel invigorated for several days. At my age I'll take it!

Trying to find people to go with me, either on B/C skis or snowshoes. I like the skis myself. Faster and actually easier with climbing skins.

Eric B.

7:34 p.m. on November 19, 2017 (EST)
107 reviewer rep
486 forum posts

Yes sir have the first week in December free and Jeff and I are planning to go he wants to hit Missouri and I'm also thinking about one in West Virginia that Phil and Patrick mentioned last year. Just haven't made any concrete plans cause we have to decide 1st. And I would not mind going back to ark again as that is some serious beautiful country.

we're open to suggestions.

10:18 p.m. on November 19, 2017 (EST)
125 reviewer rep
3,212 forum posts

I will be taking in several Eastern Sierra trips and take some field seminars and clinics to refresh related safety and technical skills, as well as learn the new practices since I last ski mountaineered in the early 1990s.  I have ski mountaineered in several different mountain ranges and consider the Eastern High Sierra about as good as it gets for this activity.

Ed

10:28 a.m. on November 20, 2017 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,636 forum posts

I now look forward to winter trips in the low desert.  This year will include some hot springs and wildlife refuges in soutern Nevada.  I am always on the lookout for a nice winter day in Feb or March when the temperature is around 70 degrees with no wind.  It makes for some great hiking and then sitting in the sun and soaking it up like a reptile.  I like to sleep on a cot without a tent. 

10:46 a.m. on November 20, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
4,565 reviewer rep
1,013 forum posts

ppine said:

I now look forward to winter trips in the low desert.  This year will include some hot springs and wildlife refuges in soutern Nevada.  I am always on the lookout for a nice winter day in Feb or March when the temperature is around 70 degrees with no wind.  It makes for some great hiking and then sitting in the sun and soaking it up like a reptile.  I like to sleep on a cot without a tent. 

"February", "winter" and "70 degrees" is an oxymoron! They don't belong in the same sentence together. Hahaha as a Canadian this is a completely foreign concept to me ;)

2:06 p.m. on November 20, 2017 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,636 forum posts

It is why I love the southern deserts as I get older.  There are plenty of Canadian flags in the RV parks. 

8:56 a.m. on November 21, 2017 (EST)
1,967 reviewer rep
351 forum posts

Hoping to do a week in Big Bend in January, if schedule allows it.

8:25 a.m. on November 23, 2017 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,336 forum posts

I am back in my winter home of Tucson AZ after bicycling down from Flagstaff a month ago.

I have many "cool" winter trips planned both on my bike and hiking, often a combination of both being cycling is my only mechanized transport.

My big 10 list:

Aravipa Canyon

The Catalina's Hutches Pool and Sabino Basin/Lemmon Creek

Bear Canyon and Seven Falls to Thimble Peak

The Rincon Mountain's Redington Pass and Tanque Verde Canyon

Cycling to Tombstone 75 miles each way

Going to Biosphere 2

Ironwood National Forest and Saguaro National park west and East

Colossal Cave

The Santa Rita Mountains

Kitt Peak

I live here from Oct to March, been coming for most winters since 1983. Then back north to places like Durango CO, Jackson WY, Mt Carmel UT and Flagstaff AZ

2:33 p.m. on November 24, 2017 (EST)
929 reviewer rep
635 forum posts

These sound good I'm hoping you eastern guys can have an abundance of snow for your trips so you get the real flavor of winter camping. 

If anyone builds a snow shelter of any kind (trench, cave, Quinzhee, etc.) post some pics. I'm trying to coordinate with a forecasted heavy snow to test my SCARP 2 winterization mods. Pics if it happens.

11:02 p.m. on November 24, 2017 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
583 forum posts

Were looking at a week or so in Death Valley in February.  Then a couple of weeks in March working our way from Phoenix (Tonto) up through Sedona and GCNP...

5:29 p.m. on November 25, 2017 (EST)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,505 reviewer rep
1,042 forum posts

When my daughter arrives for a visit in mid-December we'll do 5 days and 4 nights in the Grand Canyon. Hermit Trail and across the Tonto to Bright Angle and up, down to the River at Hermit and Granite Rapids. I'm half-hoping it will snow a little because I've got a tent to review.

After Xmas her boyfriend arrives and she wants to show him some red rock. I think S Utah could be a little cold, but we'll figure something out, maybe try to get permits for the Wave with Wire Pass as a fallback, try to find another dry slot or two, or it never hurts to go back to Zion or Bryce.

Daughter #1 and my son in law arrive around Easter time, we may go up to Moab to look for some slots or maybe try to get into the Maze.

Other places on the radar for the winter or spring: Gila Wilderness, West Oak Creek and/or West Clear Creek, the Galiuros, with some winter rain maybe over to Organ Pipe or Anza Borrego for the bloom, revisit any of the Sky Islands or maybe go as far as Big Bend in the spring when the birds start to come back-- so much to do, so little time! But mostly snow-free, we can ski in Norway.

Otherwise maybe Gary and I will have get together for some trips around Tucson. So far I, solo or with wife and friends, have done Wilderness of Rocks, Mt. Kimball, Window Rock, and Seven Falls in the Catalinas; Wasson in the Tucson Mts.; Mt. Hopkins in the Santa Ritas; Kartchner Caverns with a short day hike thrown in; a weekend in the Chiricahuas; the Bisbee 1000 Stair Climb (on our own); and various other shorter hikes and trail runs (2x the very fine Phone Line trail in Sabino Canyon). Still to go: Bear Canyon - Thimble Peak, Wrightson in the Santa Ritas, and Ragged Top in Ironwood -- all more or less on Gary's list. What do you say, Gary?

4:45 p.m. on November 30, 2017 (EST)
318 reviewer rep
201 forum posts

Middle of December its off to the Adirondacks for hiking or snowshoeing and? for a few days.

I'll also be playing Santa Claus for old friends who really are my family.

1:11 p.m. on December 16, 2017 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,636 forum posts

JR, 

I will never forget spending New Year's in the Big Bend backcountry.  We headed for a place called the Mules' Ears.  There were no trails just navigating from spring to spring. We saw no one.  The weather was perfect in the Sonoran Desert. It was near 70 during the day and about 30 at night.  

Gary has a nice list.  Way too many people go to places like Tucson and Sedona which are loved to death instead of getting out and seeing the quiet places. Arizona holds many secrets. 

3:56 p.m. on December 17, 2017 (EST)
271 reviewer rep
1,912 forum posts

Trying for a trip in January in PA on the LHHT or Mt Rogers area.Have to see if I can break away for 4 days

3:38 p.m. on December 18, 2017 (EST)
929 reviewer rep
635 forum posts

I used to live in Erie, PA (38 years) and if I still lived there I'd go to the Susquehannock Trail System for winter camping - IF there was enough snow. Lots of trailheads to chose from and you can get their excellent trail map online or at some backpacking stores in PA.

I've backpacked or skied most of the STS. It's Pennsylvania's treasure.

BTW, interesting to hear of all the warmer weather winter trips you folks plan but I was hoping to hear of some hard core SNOW trips.

Eric B.

4:36 p.m. on December 19, 2017 (EST)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,048 reviewer rep
2,244 forum posts

Eric,

It's hard to actually plan a snow trip when you live in the South East! Lot's of variables, snow being the largest. :)

What I have to do for local hikes is watch for snow in the forecast and rush to beat any road closures to my chosen trailhead. 

I didn't plan it for snow but I did Colorado trip during September that put me bagging four 14ers in about a foot of snow. 

The last several weekends were some fairly snowy hikes for me (as good as I could do here in East TN):

This was a balsam grove on Unaka Mountain in late November :

DSCN3691-M.jpg

Here was a Pine Mountain camp in the Citico wilderness of TN on Dec 8:

DSCN3900-L.jpg
Same place looking up in daylight:

20171209_110157-L.jpg
This was last weekend in the GSMNP:

DSCN3950-L.jpg

Ok the snow isn't so visible here but this was a view near the same spot:

20171216_130624-L.jpg

I'm trying!

3:17 p.m. on January 10, 2018 (EST)
929 reviewer rep
635 forum posts

Pat,

That looks nice, especailly for the SE United StATES IN November!

But with the recent big cold wave and snow storms you should have GREAT winter camping conditions in Tenn.

Show us some photos of that storm.

Eric B.

February 19, 2019
Quick Reply