3-4 Day loop/hike in sequoia national park

1:30 p.m. on January 11, 2018 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks everyone for stopping by to lend a hand. 

This will be my 2nd year of multi day hiking. Got hooked last year. Best dang time of my life out there. Hiked a small section of i1 of the pct  (Chinook pass to white pass. Mt. Reiner).

I go with a group of guys. Ages range from 30-55. We ain't your go hard hikers, we like to go slow and camp and enjoy our disconnct. 

Anyways, always wanted to go see them big trees. And I get to plan the trip this year. Looking for a 20-30 mile loop or trail section. Ain't gotta be exact. But give or take a few miles. Like to spend about 3 nights out there. 

Been researching for a week now. Aint looking for those day hikes close to civilization. Although would love to have a start or stop point there so we can see the big trees. I keep getting mixed info from all the different sources. State park says "backpacker camps prohibited". Read some say that ya gotta reserve spots out there along the camps in the sieras and of course I got overloaded on all the optional day hikes and what not. 

I bought the topographical map. I see quite a few cool looking loops I can cook up. But I bet people that been there can prolly do better. 

Again, we ain't hardcore back packers. It's a yearly vacation for us. Not all of em are in great shape and some of them got bad knees and what not. But we can handle our own. Just at a slower pace. 

Another thing. Camp fires. We really like em. So if fire isn't allowed here I won' rule it completely out but it will weigh against it. And if camping like on the pct ain' t allowed here, well sorry for being an idiot and making ya read all this. 

Thanks 

-Bryce 

6:46 p.m. on January 11, 2018 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,924 forum posts

You have a good idea. Look at the trees in the Park and then plan your trip in the Sequoia NF.  The location is not that important. There are big trees around and few people with few restrictions. Call the Ranger District and ask them about big trees off the road. 

8:51 p.m. on January 11, 2018 (EST)
192 reviewer rep
36 forum posts

You don't get spots in the Sierra. You reserve campsites in the Santa Cruz mountains, because they're in state parks - the Skyline to Sea trail is right about the correct distance, stage a car at Castle Rock SP and high uphill, or drop one at the bottom at Rancho del Oso and go downhill. Much of the hike is in redwoods, not sequoias. Nice, but no campfires and other restrictions.

In Sequoia NP, the backpacking opportunities involving sequoias are the High Sierra Trail starting at Crescent Meadow -- trees in the first couple miles, high Sierra scenery after that. You could start there, descend to the river from Bearpaw HS camp, cross on the bridges and climb a bit to Redwood Meadow, misnamed as they are sequoias. One of the few places in the park where you can camp among them. But don't think about a fire there. Might want to camp down at the river and do a side trip up and back. Return via the Middle Fork trail, along the Kaweah River, to the parking lot at Potwisha where you left a vehicle before driving up the long winding road to Crescent Meadow. A moderate to easy trip so far as climbing. This is all dispersed camping unless you are near Bearpaw, which is civilization -- an upscale camp with a restaurant. There you stay in the designated sites for backpackers. But you don't have to reserve one, or stay there - just keep hiking by or stay at one of the spots before it, at one of the creeks along the way.

11:16 p.m. on January 11, 2018 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
666 forum posts

Actually, the best trees in Sequoia are probably better via day hiking.  For an easy 20-30 mile loop, you might look at Jennie Lakes--Marvin Pass to JO Pass, through Twin Lakes and over the Silliman Crest to Ranger Lake, and the back to the trailhead.  Lovely stuff, great views.  No Sequoias. 

From Lodgepole you can do that loop as well, via Cahoon Gap.

We've also done a great hike out of Mineral King, but that's a long drive from seeing any Sequoias. 

2:01 p.m. on January 12, 2018 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Wow everyone thanks for the great replies. Hammered down on some more forums posts last night and I'm starting to see a trend in alot of the top trails being mentioned. I'm gonna call the rangers out there on Monday so I can get a better idea of how their backpacker camping regulations operate. But from some of the reading ive Been doin, it sounds like alot of people map out their own hikes and the park is pretty accommodating to backpackers. Hope that's true. I'm gonna look over my topo map tonight on the stuff y'all suggested. Thank ya much.

Wanna see the trees and mountains, so if worse comes to worse (which I don' think their can be a worse when hiking in places like this) we will just do a loop and make sure to drive to a day hike and see some trees on the way to town and airport

September 21, 2019
Quick Reply