9-10 Day BSP/IAT Loop Booked For June

11:16 a.m. on April 24, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
8,075 reviewer rep
1,451 forum posts

Since the Boys From Texas are breaking our tradition and not coming up this year I decided to do something bigger instead. I've reworked the itin from my 70 mile, 2015 BSP/IAT loop by sewing on some parts of what I used to call my annual trip of a lifetime loop and created this ~90 mile monster.

June18FullMap.png

June18FullProfile.png
The possible 10th day is in case of high water on the big crossing which adds 8 miles to a 14 mile day. The map and profile are of the hopefully 9 day route. Starting with the 2015 route I added a swing to the West for a night on Wassataquoik Lake, then a night a Davis Pond followed by the trip up to and across the tablelands to the Mountain. After a night below the summit at Chimney Pond the previous route is rejoined for the trip up the IAT.

I'd been trying to lure Pat into coming up and doing this in September, but WY is his destiny :) Shortly after that became clear I noticed that the sites needed in Baxter for this loop were all available, one after another in sequence, for dates in June. Much like an out of control monster, the magical Fall Color trip has turned into an early Summer Mud and Bug festival. Reservations have been made and long range weather forecasts are being monitored.

I can't imagine anyone but me thinking this is a good idea, but my reservations do allow me to add companions if I want. Dates are hard coded and you'd need wheels because I'm taking the scoot if I go alone. Pre/Post trip accommodations as well as number of post trip lobstahs can be negotiated.

PM if interested because a lot of discussion would be needed about just how terrible this fun trip might be :) No whining except about being too happy is one of my most important rules!

12:23 a.m. on April 25, 2018 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,342 forum posts

Appreciate that you have considered the contingency miles due to high water.  It is always good style (smarts) to address such potentialities in advance.  The trip looks epic, but I am such a whiner when it comes to mosquitoes (the west has me so spoiled).  Enjoy.

Ed

8:09 a.m. on April 25, 2018 (EDT)
3,173 reviewer rep
2,252 forum posts

Yeah this does look like a great trip. I do hope to get up that way some time in the not- too-distant future. Maine is on my list. 

So many great destinations...so little vacation time. ah well...

9:54 a.m. on April 25, 2018 (EDT)
8,075 reviewer rep
1,451 forum posts

Patman said:

Yeah this does look like a great trip. I do hope to get up that way some time in the not- too-distant future. Maine is on my list. 

So many great destinations...so little vacation time. ah well...

Life is short man. They hauled off a neighbor yesterday who was only 42. Go big! Go home and do some laundry! Go bigger!

You made the right call not to swap out your plan Pat. We'll have plenty of time next Winter to discuss whether you're coming up next year or we're all going out to WY together :)

1:43 p.m. on May 24, 2018 (EDT)
8,075 reviewer rep
1,451 forum posts

Sad news today...Ranger called to say they still have 5' of snow at Chimney Pond and they won't be opening until at least mid June. Going to add a lot of muddy miles as I have to backtrack from Davis to Russell instead of hitting the summit. Planning on hopefully heading up to the tablelands at least and back down via the North Peaks trail....hmm maybe Hamlin while I am that close ;)

Pretty certain its definitely a 10 day trip now though. Less climbing but a lot more mud. Might pack a third set of socks for this one!

12:30 p.m. on May 31, 2018 (EDT)
8,075 reviewer rep
1,451 forum posts

Upon further review I'm going fishing instead :)

100 miles of mud without going over the big mountains just sounded depressing. Turned the reservations into a tour of fishing spots across the north end of the park with low mile days so I can hit the morning and evening rise. Trout and land locked salmon for breakfast and dinner definitely sounds like a good plan to me.

July 16, 2019
Quick Reply