Acadia Recommendations Please

12:00 a.m. on April 26, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

My wife and I are leaving soon for a trip to Bar Harbor. Does anyone have any ideas and recommendations for easy trails both on Mt. Desert Island and in Acadia National Park itself? Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

1:22 a.m. on April 26, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
638 forum posts

We loved renting bikes and riding around the park...

6:29 a.m. on April 26, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
8,120 reviewer rep
1,451 forum posts

We've taken our daughter up there a few times when she was younger and done the Ocean Path, which oddly enough runs right along the ocean and Gorham Mountain. That was my daughter's first summit and I think she would have been 3 or 4, so not a terribly difficult climb, but it did get you a top of the mountain view for the effort. These two trails are located such that you could make one big loop from them if you were only there for a day or do them separately if you preferred and had more time.

Those are the only "easy" trails I know in Acadia and most scale up rapidly from there with lots of exposure on some. Mud Season has the carriage paths closed right now. Not sure when you are headed up, but it won't be Summer up there for a bit yet. Might want to check to be sure that whatever you're looking for up that way is open for business before heading up.

3:09 p.m. on April 30, 2018 (EDT)
253 reviewer rep
191 forum posts

All the trails are fairly easy because they are pretty short, even though some are steep (except for a couple of very steep trails that have iron rungs for climbing such as Beehive and Precipice.)  Wonderland is very flat.  You can get nice views from fairly short trails.  I think most of the photos from the LL Bean catalogs were taken there - the ones where people are hiking on mountains with the ocean in the background.

7:42 p.m. on May 6, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,755 reviewer rep
1,389 forum posts

I am not an experienced Arcadia person but had a great trip up there last summer. My wife and I stayed at the Schoodic woods campsites...very nice. We ended up taking the shuttle about half way round the Schoodic penninsula then hiking back to camp. Easy climbs and great views of the big island. May not fit your itinerary but it was really enjoyable and the quieter side of the park.

7:04 a.m. on May 7, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
9 forum posts

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and advice. We've been in Bar Harbor since last Thursday and have had several great hikes including the Cadillac Mt. Summit Loop, Stratheden Trail, Jessup Trail/Hemlock Road Loop, and the Kane Path. All were exactly the level of our abilities and the weather's been great! It's our first time here but we're definitely coming back!!!

July 19, 2019
Quick Reply