Heading to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon tomorrow.

8:20 p.m. on May 2, 2018 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,348 forum posts

I will be starting to work on the north rim of the Grand Canyon starting next week on the 8th, the rim opens the 15th of May and closes the middle of October. I will be a kitchen utility worker, doing prep and washing dishes.

I will try to post every week new trip reports for my day off hikes and camping trips. Wifi is limited and only two places to get online, at the employee dining room and the Bright Angel Lodge.

Leaving tomorrow riding up with Co-workers from Flagstaff. I will be staying outside the park until Monday camping in the national forest as I cannot arrive at the housing until May 7th. I will be camping near Jacob Lake AZ 45 miles north of the rim and lodge area.

10593194_759699597385800_175317197721027
View from the north rim looking south at the canyon and south rim about 10 miles away

Look for my weekly images and trip reports as I day hike and do some back country camping trips along the rim and inner canyon.

4:38 p.m. on May 6, 2018 (EDT)
244 reviewer rep
5,348 forum posts

NR-Sunset-Saturday-May-5th-2018---Edited
Sunset Saturday night via my cell phone.

Started up here on the north rim yesterday. Starting my real job Tuesday.

Harder to breathe up here especially at 62. Think this summer will be my last work year. Tween what I will save on my social security and my bi-monthly paychecks May to October I will be able to live very well for a long time and still be getting my SS the rest of my life.

I will post pictures and trip (day hikes and overnight hike) reports all summer.

7:39 p.m. on May 6, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,755 reviewer rep
1,387 forum posts

Nothing like a sunset at the Canyon...except for sunrise!

July 18, 2019
Quick Reply