Found: my local "Hidey Hole"

7:32 p.m. on July 24, 2018 (EDT)
1,024 reviewer rep
680 forum posts

In the Spring Mountains north of the Las Vegas valley I've found a great area to backpack and explore in all seasons. There is even a year-round small stream hidden there. 

So I'll be backpacking in late this summer, establish my base camp and do day hikes to explore. At 9,400 ft. among Ponderosa pines this is a very idyllic area. 

And in winter I'll backcountry ski in with my Tele skis and climbing skins. A snug camp in a snowstorm is something to relish and remember. I''ll be testing my winterized SCARP II tent. My winterized Moment DW solo tent has already been up there and did very well last winter.

Mmmmm... visualizing my winter camp and I can almost smell the sage sausage and buckwheat cakes cooked on my Sidewinder/Inferno cone wood stove. Luckily no bears in the Spring Mountains, just mountain lions who mind their own business.

Eric B.

8:50 p.m. on July 24, 2018 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,943 forum posts

Nevada is full of secrets Eric.  I have worked around the Spring Mtns and Muddy Mtns in winter.  Very cool country and you are on your own out there in the Big Wide Open. 

7:43 a.m. on July 25, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,827 reviewer rep
1,444 forum posts

That sounds fantastic. I have one or two miniaturized versions of that in the more crowded east...specifically two spots not far from overcrowded local backpacking areas that I can go to and almost never see people. I never get tired of those spots and have a variety of routes in, and never tell anyone about them. Nothing like what you are describing, but you take what you can get and enjoy being out there. Enjoy the time out there Eric.

1:35 p.m. on July 25, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
8,710 reviewer rep
1,467 forum posts

You certainly make it sound inviting Eric. Wood fire breakfast on a Winter morning paints a pretty picture even in July.

4:19 p.m. on July 25, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,173 reviewer rep
2,258 forum posts

sounds great Eric!

I bet we all have something similar in that context. I know I have a few spots that have never been shown in my trip reports and never will be. My recent interest in off trail trips have led me to some fantastic places that require serious effort to achieve. You have to really want it to get there. lol

11:25 p.m. on July 25, 2018 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,943 forum posts

On some trips it makes it easier to travel if you bring a pair of shears and a pruning saw. 

I found a place in southern Nevada with ppines that would make a perfect winter trip.  I bet no one would be out there. 

12:56 a.m. on August 1, 2018 (EDT)
REVIEW CORPS
1,747 reviewer rep
743 forum posts

Nice!...what are the GPS coordinates? :-P

10:01 a.m. on August 1, 2018 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,943 forum posts

Sorry.  Some places need no advertising. 

October 17, 2019
Quick Reply