Big Bend Outer Mountain Loop - Nov 2018

5:34 p.m. on September 20, 2018 (EDT)
BRAND REP
56 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Hello all!

Prepping myself to tackle the ~40 miles Outer Moutain Loop trail with the addition of the South Rim for the views at Big Bend National Park this November.

Trying to find any locals who may want to also join in on this adventure or anyone whos done it and has some input.  I've been all over the Big Bend forums and whatnot but doesnt hurt to get more insight!

Thanks! 

9:04 a.m. on September 21, 2018 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,829 forum posts

Hi Alex. Keep track of where you can find water.  Make sure you know if it is a dry year, wet year or average year.  I did an overland trip with some geologists at Big Bend in early Jan.  We went from spring to spring.  It was a marvelous trip and we saw no one out there in the Chihuahuan Desert.

8:26 p.m. on September 26, 2018 (EDT)
BRAND REP
56 reviewer rep
20 forum posts

Thanks @ppine!  Adequate water throughout the trip is going to be one of my priorities! 

9:23 p.m. on September 26, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 25 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
3,755 reviewer rep
1,385 forum posts

Wish I could remember my trip there in 91 better...did that loop. I remember dry and hot but great desert hiking.

10:23 a.m. on October 1, 2018 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,829 forum posts

Big Bend is hard to get to, but one of the really great places to hike late in the season and winter.   It is far enough south to have some daylight.  Warm in the day time mostly but frost at night.  My favorite place in Texas except for Palo Dura Canyon. 

Big Bend is really a much better destination for hiking in winter than say southern Utah or a lot of other places.  I like Death Valley a lot, but finding water is very difficult.  Big Bend has plenty of springs in the sedimentary geology if you know where to look. 

July 17, 2019
Quick Reply