Spend a summer hiking

6:20 p.m. on October 22, 2018 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hello, I have sort of an unusual question: Where is the best place to spend a summer hiking?  

I previously went to school in Fort Collins CO and went hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park every weekend during summer.  I'm currently living on the east coast, but starting next summer I'm planning to take a break from school for a year. My ideal plan is to move somewhere new, find a seasonal summer job and go hiking on my days off. Any recommendations, tips, or concerns are welcome!

I've been thinking about somewhere near Glacier National Park or the pacific northwest.

My ideal place would include:

-Lots of challenging day hikes (after hiking in RMNP all the hiking on the east coast is like climbing hills to me)

-Affordable living

-Be in the US (unless it's somehow easy to get a visa)

7:08 a.m. on October 23, 2018 (EDT)
125 reviewer rep
3,342 forum posts

If you are looking for mountains, the Eastern Sierra are notorious for having the best weather, overall.  There is more than enough challenging country, there, to keep you amused. There is seasonal work available in the resorts.

Ed  

8:04 p.m. on October 25, 2018 (EDT)
73 reviewer rep
3,824 forum posts

Sierra Nevada.  I love the east side and spend most of my time there.  We just returned from Yosemite and the west side.  The weather is mild in spring and fall. The trees are bigger. Hiking paradise. 

9:10 a.m. on October 26, 2018 (EDT)
82 reviewer rep
449 forum posts

Grand Canyon NP has both lots of summer jobs and lots of challenging day hikes, right as you walk out of the door.  Take your time working up to the challenging hikes - hiking in Grand Canyon is different from other locales.

5:02 p.m. on October 26, 2018 (EDT)
57 reviewer rep
80 forum posts

Funny, I've been recently thinking about such a summer myself. I went to school in Boulder, spent lots of time in the Rockies, and if it were me I'd head right back to the Front Range. Rocky Mountain National Park is just the beginning of that area: just south is the lesser-used and equally amazing Indian Peaks wilderness. The Maroon Bells make a great weekend trip. Eldorado Canyon for day hikes. I could go on! (Feel free to pester me for details ;-) )

And in Ft. Collins, you'd be just a skip away from the Wind River mountains in Wyoming, which are, in a word, mind-blowing. (Or is that two words?)

6:05 a.m. on October 27, 2018 (EDT)
TOP 10 REVIEWER REVIEW CORPS
8,075 reviewer rep
1,451 forum posts

https://www.coolworks.com/

Once you decide where you want to go, check that site out. Job listings by category and location for seasonal and year round work. Great for summer jobs or nomads :)

11:33 p.m. on November 18, 2018 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,824 forum posts

I have been surrounded by the most beauty in the North Cascades and northern Rockies in summer.  Rain is common and the weather tends to be cool.  It stays really green and in bloom all summer in the mountains.  Alaska is beautiful in ways that are hard to describe. 

But for a place to hike for weeks at a time, give me the Sierras.  We are spoiled by great weather.  I like the top and the east side best. 

10:48 a.m. on November 20, 2018 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
638 forum posts

I agree with PPine.  For a whole summer to enjoy, I don't think you can beat the Sierra Nevada.  That said, we are planning a long trip to the Rockies this summer.  But it will be a lot of car camping, and we are coming prepared for rain and inclement weather.  And grizzly bears. 

The Sierra is the most convenient hiking destination I know, and I have been many, many places.  Despite that convenience, there are unlimited areas for solitude.

July 16, 2019
Quick Reply