3 - Day Backpacking Loop in May?

2:23 p.m. on February 8, 2019 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Hey everybody,

PT school is sending me from Michigan to southern Idaho for a 5-week rotation, and I want to take advantage of the week off I have to do some backpacking out west!

I'm looking to do a 3 or 4 day backpacking loop somewhere in the Rockies during the first week of May. It's such a tricky time of year to plan since it's winter in the high country  and summer in the desert. I'm physically fit and looking for an adventure, and have experience backpacking at high altitudes (though I would definitely consider myself a flatlander, being from Michigan). I am wide open when it comes to location, although I would love the trip to include a 13er summit if possible.  I'd be open to going anywhere in the Rockies, driving is not a problem for me and I love solo road trips. 

As a side note, any suggestions on shorter trips from Idaho Falls for my weekends?

Thanks,

Jacob

5:07 p.m. on February 8, 2019 (EST)
73 reviewer rep
3,852 forum posts

Jacob you have to adjust your thinking when coming from the East.  The season in Idaho above 5,000 feet is pretty short.  Forget about climbing peaks in May unless you have moutanineering skills, ice ax, crampons and a rope, and companions. 

First week of May is still winter in the mountains. It is the perfect time for a river trip. 

12:54 a.m. on February 11, 2019 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1,414 forum posts

Hey Jacob......welcome to Trailspace,

May is a good time to start exploring the lower elevations of the Rockies.  One of course wants to take care and take all precautions before going on such a journey.  It would also be a good time to do some car camping in and around the Pacific Northwest and get a feel for the area.

If your still interested in doing some early May backpacking then I would hit all the camping/backpacking forums and see if you can find some experienced souls who would like to venture out on a multiday backpacking trip(s) with you.

If your coming out for 5 weeks then I would plan, if possible, your backpacking as late in your rotation as possible.  Also, if your coming from the plains you'll most likely want to acclimate yourself to the higher altitude(s) by going on some day hikes, which can be done if your out and about car camping and investigating.

Early May is also a good time to get the rod and reel out if your into fishing.

7:57 p.m. on February 11, 2019 (EST)
244 reviewer rep
5,348 forum posts

If you don't mind driving someplace, come to northern Arizona and hike the San Francisco Peaks near Flagstaff. The highest peak is 12,663 and hikable, not any climbing. Its a extinct volcano. Highest Point in Arizona and the views are great from the top. You can even see the Grand Canyon's north Rim from the top some 50 miles away.

44181460_1803612743086399_40644467246623
View of the peaks from I-40  from west of Flagstaff. Humphrey's Peak is the highest on the left. This was taken last October.

4:33 p.m. on February 24, 2019 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
2 forum posts

Thanks for all the help, guys! I'm taking it all into consideration and am excited for the trip, wherever I decide to go.

6:10 a.m. on February 28, 2019 (EST)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

That's nice. Hope you'll enjoy there a lot. :)

2:20 a.m. on March 28, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
1 forum posts

Hi Jacob,

I'm a traveler and have been traveling a lot. 

Base on my past experiences I suggest that you visit himalayan-treks(dot)com a great place for trekking and guidance.

8:37 p.m. on March 28, 2019 (EDT)
0 reviewer rep
643 forum posts

Hey, you might also look at something in the Southwest.  Capitol Reef/Escalante etc.

July 22, 2019
Quick Reply